The California Asian Pacific Chamber of Commerce has issued an RFP for a lobbying and government relations agency. CalAsian’s lobbyist will work with CalAsian’s Director of Public Policy (Director), CalAsian President & CEO (President), and Public Policy Committee Committee (PPC) and Staff to lobby, counsel, develop, recommend, and implement strategy for the purpose of advancing CalAsian’s approved advocacy agenda and representing the interests of CalAsian before the state legislature and regulatory agencies.
In 2010 the California Asia Pacific Chamber of Commerce (CalAsian) was founded to give a voice to the over 600,000 Asian Pacific Islander (API) owned businesses in California. Today, the CalAsian is the largest statewide ethnic chamber in California, with the mission to grow and empower the API business community throughout California.
California’s over 600,000 API-owned businesses generate in excess of $181 billion in annual revenue and employ 910,135 Californians with an annual payroll of $26 billion. CalAsian advocates for policies, legislation and programs that will help California’s API- owned and small business community reach new markets and provide growth opportunities.
CalAsian works consistently on creating sustainable communities through economic development and focuses on providing access, education and opportunities for California’s API and small business community.
SCOPE OF WORK
Legislative and Regulatory
- Provide legislative and regulatory counsel.
- Monitor all legislation and regulation for any potential impact on small business and API Community, and keep the Director, President and PPC informed.
- Bill screening and monitoring.
- Assist in the preparation of legislation, position papers, talking points, letters of support and opposition, etc., as appropriate.
- Represent CalAsian positions, including testifying, as necessary, before legislators in meetings and committee hearings, as well as in meetings with key Administration officials.
Strategy and Communications
- Assist in the development of public policy/legislative strategy for CalAsian in conjunction with Director, President and PPC.
- Demonstrate success in having contacts that can influence legislators/government agencies to move the agenda of the CalAsian Legislative Plan.
- Be involved in facilitating grassroots efforts, key contacts, and local visits to members of the legislature by chamber members.
- Negotiate with other groups as instructed by the CalAsian Director, President, and PPC.
- Develop articles for CalAsian publications for the purpose of keeping members informed of advocacy issues of importance to the API community and small business.
CalAsian Political Action Committee
- Assist in the development of CalAsian PAC strategies, including fundraising and contribution strategies with Director and PAC Consultants.
- Assist in identification of issues, events and candidates for potential PAC support.
CalAsian Legislative Events
- Help to plan and present CalAsian’s “Legislative Summit and Reception” in Sacramento, including securing rooms in the Capitol, as necessary, for meeting purposes, presenting to the membership strategies for effective lobbying on issues related to the chamber, assisting CalAsian staff in securing appointments with legislators and key staff, and securing the participation of legislators and administration officials.
Proposal Due by February 27, 2017 to:
ATTN: Pat Fong Kushida
2331 Alhambra Blvd., Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95817