Montclair State University has issued an RFP seeking a market research firm to do Brand Benchmarking Research to measure the relevancy and effectiveness of the University’s current brand strategy. The institution has invested significantly in the existing brand platform with the “It’s All Here” tagline in its integrated marketing and communications campaigns and seeks to determine if related efforts have had an effect with our key internal and external stakeholders.
The awarded bidder must have been in business for five (5) years or more with a demonstrated record of success in the following areas:
- Proven ability to meet the goals and objectives of higher education clients through research methodologies, analysis and reporting;
- A diverse project portfolio that includes recent research and analysis work;
- Competitive, diverse and relevant roster inclusive of higher education clientele;
- Case studies and prior work that indicate an informed understanding of the complexities of the higher education environment; and
Montclair State University is a research doctoral institution ranked in the top tier of national universities. Building on a distinguished history dating back to 1908, the University today has 10 colleges and schools that serve 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students with more than 300 doctorial, master’s and baccalaureate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 252-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State delivers the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a supportive, sophisticated and diverse academic environment.
SCOPE OF WORK
Montclair State has experienced significant change in the past few years that may require adjustments to its brand reputation management and brand execution strategies. It is now classified by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education as a Research Doctoral university; it has moved from US News & World Report’s regional university ranking group to the national university group; the campus now qualifies as an Hispanic Serving Institution; a comprehensive fund raising campaign is under way; and it is hoped that increased out-of-state enrollments can help fuel further enrollment growth.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Gain a better understanding of the current perceptions of the Montclair State University brand by key internal and external stakeholders since initial brand strategy rollout in 2012.
- Provide recommendations to evolve/reshape brand platform and develop/craft distinctive messaging specific to the University’s new Carnegie designation, its national ranking(s), its academic strengths and its enrollment goals.
- Assess the current “It’s All Here” tagline and creative strategy and provide recommendations as to its continuance and/or modification.
- Identify opportunities for distinction in the national higher education landscape.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Review 2012 brand market research findings
- Review and assess existing brand platform and creative strategy
- Conduct discussions with senior executive leadership to gain a better understanding of the present “state of the university” and the vision for its future
- Conduct quantitative research of brand strengths, awareness and positioning in regards to the following audiences:
- Internal constituencies (faculty; staff; current students)
- Alumni and donors
- Prospective students
- General public (with sampling to match 2012 study)
- Conduct qualitative research to the following audience:
- Higher education peers (executive level administrators and deans)
- Presentation and comprehensive analysis of significant findings:
- Compare results against 2012 research findings
- Propose recommendations for refreshing brand messaging and/or creative direction
- Propose enhancements to communication strategy targeted at national peer institutions
Proposal due by January 13th, 2017 to:
Office of Procurement Services Montclair State University Overlook Corporate Center
150 Clove Road, Third Floor
Little Falls, New Jersey 07424