Pagosa Springs is located in southwest Colorado, along the western slope of the Continental Divide at the base of Wolf Creek Pass. Nestled in 2.5 million acres of wilderness and the national forest areas, it is one of Colorado’s most natural escapes. Visitors will find a variety of outdoor activities to participate in in- cluding biking, skiing, rock climbing, and horseback riding. Wolf Creek Ski Area, home to the most snow in Colorado, is 23 miles from town. Nearby Chimney Rock National Monument, a site used by an- cestral Puebloans, offers a glimpse into the area history. Pagosa is also home to a live professional theatre company at the Pagosa Springs Center for the Arts.
Recently, Pagosa Springs was named by the Guinness World Records as the home of the deepest hot springs. Pagosa Springs was also included in National Geographic Adventure magazine’s “50 Best Places to Live and Play NOW: The Next Great Adventure Towns edition.” To explore what Pagosa Springs has to offer visit www.visitpagosasprings.com.
The Pagosa Springs Area Tourism Board (PSATB), on behalf of the Owner, invites proposals from estab- lished consulting firms for the development of a 20-year Destination Master Plan for Pagosa Springs, with the possibility of one or more updates at 5-year intervals. The purpose of the 20-year Destination Master Plan is to provide a roadmap to maintain and enhance Pagosa Springs’ lodging industry’s competitive po- sitioning relative to other desirable Destinations and to anticipate the future state of tourists’ needs and tourist markets. The current and future needs of group meetings are also a priority, as well as growing fu- ture markets, such as international. The ideal consulting firm will have expertise in the field of destination and resort planning and a successful track record with the complexities of multiple public and private stakeholders. A successful Destination Master Planning process would possibly result in additional ser- vices required approximately each five years in order to update the master plan.
Scope of Work:
Development of long-term recommendations for Pagosa Springs as a Destination that will increase the lodging tax for the Town of Pagosa Springs and Archuleta County, with subsequent continued growth.
- Written and electronic document as deliverables in the form of a 20-year master plan with a target com- pletion date of December 31st, 2018.
- Include maps and images for current and future state including site options
- Include community (realm) architecture style and color palette recommendations
- Prioritize needs based upon market opportunity and greatest current and future visitor impact, taking into consideration what can realistically be achieved
- Make recommendations regarding infrastructure needs
- Consider transportation implications and recommendations
- Provide analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats (SWOT)
- Consider future meeting space needs
- Consider future retail and culinary trends and needs
- Consider future experience and nightlife needs
- Consider any product shortfalls, inefficiencies, or desirability. For example, does Pagosa Springs have enough hotels / lodging, does Pagosa Springs have the right property style and mix to meet the needs of the future?
- Consider efforts to maximize the “economy of scale” between current organizations. Seek to address any unnecessary organizational overlaps / redundancies in order to reduce the resulting operational frictions and marketplace confusions historically detrimental to selling and marketing Pagosa Springs.
- Consider existing adopted plans of the Town of Pagosa Springs and Archuleta County. How can these plans be integrated to achieve the best result for lodging businesses in the Pagosa Springs area?
- Market expertise and strategic consultation regarding best practices for long-term destination develop- ment, redevelopment and enhancement
- Provide information regarding best practices of tourism and resort destinations
- Competitive Destination suggestions include Glenwood Springs, Salida, Durango, etc
- Competitive meeting destination suggestions
- Provide relevant comparisons for before and after competitor master planning, as well as published in-formation regarding impact and performance.
March 23rd, 2018
Town of Pagosa Springs at Town Hall
551 Hot Springs Boulevard,
P.O Box 1859,
Pagosa Springs, Colorado 81147