The Hawaii Technology Development Corporation (HTDC), an agency of the State of Hawaii (State), is seeking public relations and marketing assistance to support the agency and to help market its programs. HTDC programs provide resources, funding and expertise to technology and manufacturing companies in Hawaii.
The Hawaii Technology Development Corporation (HTDC) is leading the State of Hawaii’s effort to grow the technology industry sector with the objective of diversifying the economy and creating clean, high-wage job opportunities for the people of the State. As an attached agency to the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism (DBEDT), HTDC drives the State of Hawaii’s tech-based economic development agenda. HTDC provides support on three levels – technical and resource assistance for companies, promotion and organization for the industry, and guidance on tech based economic development policy for legislators.
Public Relations (PR) and marketing services are being requested to assist and support HTDC in its efforts to generate awareness and communicate messages about Hawaii’s growing tech-based economy and HTDC’s vision, role and programs. The selected provider will work directly with the HTDC team on developing and executing a strategic communication plan.
HTDC STATUTE (HRS CHAPTER 206M)
The mission of HTDC is to facilitate the growth and development of technology as a viable industry sector in Hawaii’s economy. HTDC’s duties include:
- developing industrial parks and technology innovation centers and projects within or outside of industrial parks
- providing support and services to Hawaii-based innovative technology companies
- collecting and analyzing information on the state of commercial technology and innovation activity in Hawaii
- promoting and marketing Hawaii as a site for commercial technology and innovation activity
- providing advice on policy and planning for technology-based economic development
HTDC programs propel Hawaii’s innovation community by providing resources, funding and expert mentoring for technology companies. The current programs include:
1) Tech Incubation – a program delivering business support services to tech startups (physical facilities at the Manoa Innovation Center and the Maui Research and Technology Center). Services include business reviews with experienced staff, grant writing assistance, internship program, referrals for professional services, and monthly hosted technical assistance workshops.
2) Events – support through sponsorship, promotion, partnership, and/or planning events that are relevant to the innovation and entrepreneurial community.
3) INNOVATE Hawaii – a program that gives Hawaii manufacturers the resources and expertise necessary for the next stage of growth. The program also provides funding for Research and Development (R&D) small businesses through matching grants to Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) award winners.
4) Hawaii Center for Advanced Transportation Technologies (HCATT) – a program that develops and demonstrates market readiness of alternative energy transportation technologies.
Scope of Work:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive outreach communications plan for HTDC and its programs. The plan should include, but not be limited to, development of key communications messaging; use of traditional media (i.e., print, television, radio) and digital (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, IG, blogs, etc.); writing press releases, media advisories, backgrounders, Op-Eds, letters to the editors, commentaries, articles, etc.
- Identify appropriate media placement to increase HTDC visibility and elevate the tech industry agenda.
- Proactively develop and disseminate HTDC’s newsworthy information on programs and activities, on a regular basis, to local and national media.
- Coordinate and execute news conferences and events to promote HTDC’s newsworthy information, programs and activities.
- Review speeches, talking points, messages, presentations and fact sheets for HTDC.
- Identify, schedule and coordinate appropriate speaking engagements and media appearances for the Executive Director and other HTDC subject matter experts and staff.
- Identify critical HTDC newsworthy items, news, and events. Strategically place newsworthy items in trade publications in Hawaii and nationwide using print, broadcast and digital media.
- Provide media training and media coaching.
- Assist with issues management and crisis communications.
- Provide technical writing for, including, but not limited to, technology sector focused writing, researching, drafting and editing material for HTDC, such as policies, communications for legislative action and initiatives, annual reports, executive summaries and presentations.
- Conceptualize, develop and work with the creative design provider on the production and write-up of HTDC collateral material, including, but not limited to, annual and other reports, newsletters, brochures, fliers, and the production of advertisements encompassing all communication channels.
- Coordinate with the creative design provider to create and develop content for web, social media, and multi media outlets.
- Coordinate content, manage, and distribute HTDC’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Assist with social media needs on all HTDC social media platforms as necessary. HTDC is currently active on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Participate in weekly meetings in-person or by phone (or as designated by HTDC), meetings to ensure open communication channels for the management of this project.
- Participate in monthly PR/Marketing meetings with HTDC staff, creative design provider and others as invited by HTDC.
- Provide monthly reports that includes news clippings, advertising equivalencies, estimated number of impressions and media value newsletter activity, etc.
- Provide monthly budget reports including, but not limited to, expenditures, remaining balance, and budget projections.
- Procure all subcontractors performing work on this project.
All content developed as a result of the contract awarded under this solicitation shall become works for hire and property of the State.
October 18, 2017.
2800 WOODLAWN DR. SUITE 120,
HONOLULU, HAWAII 96822