AFROBAROMETER REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP) DESIGN OF AFROBAROMETER’s 2023 ANNUAL REPORT
Deadline for submission: 8 December 2023
Afrobarometer is a pan-African, non-partisan survey research network that provides reliable data on African experiences and evaluations of democracy, governance, and quality of life. Nine survey rounds in up to 42 countries have been completed since 1999. Round 9 surveys (2021/2023) cover 39 countries.
Historically, high-quality data have been in short supply on the continent. Official government statistics are of variable quality, reliability, and coverage. Experts, political leaders, researchers, pundits, and external actors often claim knowledge and hold opinions about Africans without direct or nuanced understanding of their values, preferences, and thinking. The growth of new and more viral forms of information dissemination further fuels polarization and conflict.
Global and regional agendas for peace and prosperity, such as the UN SDGs, require an evidence base to inform, prioritize, and target interventions. AB fills the data gaps by conducting surveys using rigorous protocols and cutting-edge social science methods.
AB institutionalises citizen voice in public policy making, contributing to informed problem solving and intelligent employment of Africa’s great resources and talents.
AB secretariat is based in Accra, Ghana. The organisation has three Core Partners in Ghana, South Africa, and Kenya that oversee 38 National Partners, who conduct AB surveys. Support Units at the University of Cape Town and Michigan State University provide data management and analysis expertise.
Achievements so far include:
● 42 countries covered
● 24 years of longitudinal data and analysis
● 370,000+ interviews completed, representative of four-fifths of the African population
● AB data are geolocated and can be disaggregated by region, gender, urban-rural location, education, age, and other variables.
Afrobarometer is seeking a service provider to assist in the design, content development, and production of digital and print versions of the organisation’s 2023
Annual Report as well as a website page featuring highlights of the Annual Report, to be released no later than 15 March 2024.
Service providers responding to this RFP should have experience in marketing and/or public relations communications and in designing and creating high-quality publications and web pages with visual appeal and information graphics/data visualisation. They must be willing to work collaboratively with Afrobarometer to facilitate production and fine-tuning of the final product.
Objective of Afrobarometer’s Annual Report
The Annual Report is a key output for Afrobarometer for the following reasons:
● It showcases our work and results over the past year.
● As a registered non-profit organisation, AB uses the report to enhance transparency to our stakeholders.
● Design layout of the full report
● Populate with content in English and French
● Finalise full report based on AB feedback
● Design page on AB’s website featuring key highlights of the report
Participation and reviewing
Afrobarometer has designated its publications manager, communications and knowledge manager, and finance manager to lead the production of the Annual Report. Reporting will be through the communications and knowledge manager.
● Production timeline.
● Initial draft design of the publication, to be finalised based on AB feedback.
● Documentation of final graphic design concept for printable booklet version — comprehensive page layout.
● Images/icons as needed to supplement those provided by AB.
● Initial draft of the publication with content, data, and photos for AB to review.
● Amended documents with up to three rounds of reviews based on AB feedback.
● Completed documents in English and French in printable PDF booklet format.
● Completed documents in English and French in digital PDF format.
● Initial draft of web page featuring key highlights of the report, to be finalized based on AB feedback.
● Completed and implemented web page featuring key highlights of the report.
This request for proposals opens on 20 November 2023 and will end on Friday, 8 December 2023. The vendor selection process will begin thereafter.
Interested service providers should submit an Expression of Interest indicating their relevant competence, evidence of creative work in publication design, two references, a proposed work plan, and a total estimated cost in USD by 8 December 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org