The Puerto Rico Destination Marketing Organization, Discover
Puerto Rico (“DPR”) seeks a world-class Public Relations firm to continue
elevating and protecting the DPR destination brand and keep Puerto Rico
top-of-mind for travelers thru a robust, innovative, cutting edge and
outstanding PR strategy.
The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to
identify a Public Relations partner. As Discover Puerto Rico builds brand
awareness, equity and credibility, it needs a partner who will actively share
the “good news” stories of why Puerto Rico should be the destination of choice
for leisure and business travelers.
The selected firm will be responsible for supporting and
amplifying all Discover Puerto Rico’s public relations, talent- influencer and
earned media efforts as it relates to engaging in an “overarching”
communications effort. The communications plan should be in alliance with the
marketing goals established by Chief Marketing Officer, Ms. Leah Chandler. This
is a pivotal moment in Puerto Rico and as Discover Puerto Rico continues to
change the potential visitor’s perception we want to tell the Island story not
only in traditional ways but in innovative, thoughtful, provoking and
The initiatives should showcase Puerto Rico’s unique
offerings and assets. We want visitors to come not only for beaches and
sunshine, but also for natural wonders, renowned gastronomy, some of the best
coffee in the world, our contagious music and of course, the incredibly
hospitable and resilient people of Puerto Rico. Candidates must demonstrate a
proven history of strategic and effective travel and tourism related public
relations services across the U.S. and ideally, global marketplaces as well as
strong crisis management.
The public relations plan will recommend the most effective
channels to reach the right people at the right time to inspire travel to
Discover Puerto Rico is a non-governmental, not-for-profit
organization created in 2017 through bi-partisan legislation, to manage all
off-island global marketing, sales and promotion of Puerto Rico’s tourism
industry. Our purpose is to promote the Island as a premier leisure and
business destination, powering sustainable economic growth through
consumer-centric and research-based marketing, best in class industry standards
and strategic partnership. Discover Puerto Rico intends to accelerate economic
recovery in Puerto Rico by stabilizing tourism industry revenue/employment and
optimizing immediate and long-range opportunities through targeted tourism
sales and measurable marketing programs.
We are a newly established enterprise that will bring
prosperity to the people of Puerto Rico by positioning the Island’s diversity
and uniqueness for leisure, business and events, working collaboratively with
key local governmental and non-governmental stakeholders throughout Puerto
Rico’s visitor economy.
We believe there has never been a more important time for
tourism in Puerto Rico than today. For the first time in its history, Puerto
Rico has a solid chance to reimagine and transform itself and we want to
capitalize on this unprecedented momentum by building a stronger and better
Puerto Rico has a unique competitive position in travel and
tourism, due in part to its 526 years of rich heritage, remarkable attractions,
music, gastronomy and extraordinary people. Amidst an increasingly competitive
global marketplace and challenging economic climate, growing the visitor
economy of Puerto Rico is pivotal to the future success of the Island.
Aside from the challenges that came with hurricane Maria,
Puerto Rico has been limited by frequent changes in brand position and creative
and strategic approach due to political cycle changes. Discover Puerto Rico
aims to achieve consistency, developing a solid and long-lasting brand identity
that outlives each political cycle and appeals to global travelers. We will do
so by relying heavily upon a talented team of professionals well-prepared to
lift the tourism industry to new heights.
We believe in leveraging Puerto Rico’s tourism opportunities
to increase media coverage in the mainland US and beyond, which will inspire
visitation to the island. As a destination going through a major
transformation, strategic earned media efforts are crucial to raise the brand
awareness of the destination both in the United States and globally.
Scope of Work:
Discover Puerto Rico seeks to maximize the efficiency and
effectiveness of its communication and media efforts through the selection of a
strategic and results-oriented top media relations agency. The selected agency
will be responsible for providing strong strategy and insight development for
campaigns that inform Discover Puerto Rico’s overall earned media direction
across all communication channels.
The selected agency’s responsibilities will include but are
not limited to the following:
• Position Discover Puerto Rico as a world-class tourism destination forleisure and busines travelers
• Identify and develop industry and market-specific trends to generate coveragefor Puerto Rico and differentiate the Island
• Develop outstanding brand awareness and publicity to build equity
• Establish working relationships with influential US (including Diaspora)
media to help elevate Puerto Rico as a destination and pivot perception
• Enhance the credibility of the organization and its effectiveness in attracting visitors to Puerto Rico
• Mitigate potential negative issues and perception while increasing level of goodwill for the organization
• Manage potential media crisis and protect brand’s reputation
• Promote Puerto Rico’s diverse tourism product
• Secure targeted broadcast opportunities of Discover Puerto Rico key programs and initiatives (i.e. Gastronomy, LBGTQ+, etc.)
• Thought leadership execution including b2b interviews, speaking & roundtable opportunities and media opportunities
• Brand alignment with partners who share common objectives and can elevateawareness and desirability of Puerto Rico’s brand.
• Establish relationships with trade and industry publications to leverage and support MICE
• Monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on media coverage, quality, value and impact. Responsible for all tracking media and influencer tools/software licensing
• Diaspora integration efforts
January 3rd, 2019.
Jeniffer Rosa López, VP Communications
Discover Puerto Rico
500 Calle De La Tanca
Building Ochoa, Suite 402B
San Juan, PR 00901, USA
Coyne PR and 5WPR both are strong travel PR firms.