Empire State Development Issues Life Science Consulting Services RFP
The purpose of this solicitation is to identify and engage a consulting firm to:
- Refine and advance the ESD Life Science Initiative’s long-term strategy with an emphasis on executing new public-private partnerships to leverage the State’s significant investments in the life science industry
- Aid in continuing implementation of current Life Science Initiative programs
- Develop and advance a national strategic marketing plan for the ESD Life Science Initiative aimed at attracting companies and talent to New York State
- Advance the development of an ESD infrastructure to best support the commercial life science industry in New York State
The mission of Empire State Development (“ESD”) is to promote a vigorous and growing state economy, encourage business investment and job creation, and support diverse, prosperous local economies across New York State (the “State”) through the efficient use of loans, grants, tax credits, real estate development, marketing, and other forms of assistance.
Scope of Work:
Following is the scope of services anticipated to be required of the selected Respondent by ESD for this engagement. It is anticipated that some of the services may require the use of sub- consultants.
Life Science Initiative Strategy:
In addition to continuing a cluster strategy, ESD aims to develop a long-term strategy that places New York State at the frontier of life science commercialization. This strategy will take advantage of New York State’s unique strengths to support its life science ecosystem and advance the State as a leading hub for life science technological innovation. ESD is seeking a consulting firm with deep domain expertise in life science to assist in further development of this long-term strategy, with a critical focus on engaging private partners to develop public-private partnerships, advancing development of the life science ecosystem, attracting new companies, and creating jobs.
The consultant will:
- Advise on implementation of ESD’s current cluster strategy through the development of strategic life science partnerships and investment opportunities; identify public-private partnership opportunities for the ESD Life Science Initiative; and engage private partners as identified.
- Support ESD to develop a detailed, long-term strategic plan to grow and differentiate New York State’s commercial life science sector. This long-term strategy will leverage New York State’s existing academic and industry assets to transform the State into a leading hub for commercial life science. The strategy must also promote synergies across the life science clusters in the State. To develop the long-term strategic plan, the consultant will utilize data and information already captured in a strategic assessment of the State’s life science industry, recently carried out by ESD’s Life Science Initiative. In addition, it is expected that the consultant will utilize their own knowledge of global and New York State life science trends to best develop the strategic plan.
- Support continuing implementation of all current ESD Life Science Initiative programs, as needed.
Marketing New York as a Life Science Hub:
ESD is also developing a strategic marketing plan for the Life Science Initiative. The consultant will:
- Work with ESD staff to develop and implement a life science-focused strategic marketing plan to ensure that Governor Cuomo’s $620 million Initiative is well-known in the global life science community. This marketing strategy should promote the Initiative as a whole, in addition to its individual components.
- Conduct polling, collect survey data, or implement other methods to assess perceptions of New York State as a hub for life science among key stakeholders in the life science industry. This activity should be executed over time to best evaluate how perceptions of the New York State life science ecosystem evolve.
Life Science Initiative Operations Support:
In addition to developing a long-term strategy and marketing plan, the consultant will support the ESD Life Science Initiative in carrying out its operations. In particular, the consultant will:
- Develop and implement key performance indicators and evaluation criteria for the Life Science Initiative. This will include the following activities:
- Design and implement processes and internal infrastructure for collecting and evaluating data from individual ESD-funded initiatives;
- Design and implement processes and internal infrastructure for collecting and evaluating data on the life science industry in New York State as a whole; and
- Conduct quantitative analysis of the ancillary economic benefits of the ESD Life Science Initiative as a whole, as well as analysis of individually funded initiatives.
- Support ESD’s annual evaluation of the Life Science Initiative, including supporting the ESD Life Science Division in generating an annual report. This report will include but is not limited to: the economic impact of the activities undertaken with State funds, the number and amount of federal funds procured after program approval, as well as such factors as jobs created and maintained, the average salary of the jobs created, and average salary of jobs retained. The consultant will work with ESD staff to ensure the data for this report are aligned with the data collection and evaluation practices used for ESD’s annual agency report.
- Develop and implement an infrastructure at ESD to support the growing commercial life science sector in New York State. This will include development of a one-stop shop webpage resource for life science firms and institutions. This webpage will include but not be limited to: FAQ for life science firms, information on eligibility and how to apply for ESD programs, contact information for key staff, and other materials and services to best support the industry.
- Long-term strategic plan report, with a comprehensive implementation road map, in written form.
- Strategic marketing plan report, with a comprehensive implementation road map, in written form. This report should provide concrete, actionable steps ESD can implement to ensure that New York State is successfully branded as a commercial life science hub.
- Fully implemented system for collecting and evaluating data on how perceptions of New York State as a hub for life science evolve over time. This will include data sets and processes for updating data sets. It will also include a written plan for how to collect these data on an ongoing basis to evaluate the Initiative’s marketing efforts over time.
- Annual evaluation and ESD Life Science Initiative report for the Governor and Legislature, including all necessary figures and statistics for the report.
- Fully implemented system for collecting and evaluating data on the New York State life science industry as a whole and on all ESD life science programs individually.
- Fully functional ESD one-stop shop web page for life science firms and stakeholders.
May 9th, 2018
DKC PR is a great New York PR Agency.