The Housing Authority of the City of Decatur, GA Seeks PR Firm
The Decatur Housing Authority intends to award a contract to a qualified publicist or firm to provide day-to-day public relations services necessary for the operation of the agency.
The Housing Authority of the City of Decatur, GA (hereinafter, “DHA” or “the Authority”) was established in 1938, under the laws of the State of Georgia. The Authority is a quasi- governmental Authority, separate and distinct from the general city or county government. The primary role of DHA is building and managing quality affordable housing for low to moderate income families. Over the years, DHA has expanded its focus to include the revitalization of the Decatur community as a whole through the renewal and redevelopment of substandard housing, as well as improving facilities in the downtown area. DHA operates several programs to assist low to moderate income families with quality affordable housing alternatives:
- Public Housing – Families pay 30% of adjusted income towards rent and utilities in DHA’s apartments located in Decatur in DHA’s 289 units of Public Housing.
- Section 8 Substantial Rehabilitation – Families pay 30% of adjusted income for rent and utilities in 111 units in Decatur.
- Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) – Families pay 30% of adjusted income for rent and utilities in private rental housing located in the metro area. Section 8 HCV – 868 units and 300 portables.
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Units (LIHTC) – Families pay a set affordable rent for 10 units located in Decatur.
- Workforce Housing – DHA, and it’s related non-profit, develops, owns and operates a number of apartments. In most cases, a percentage of units are reserved for low to moderate income residents while other units are available at market rate. Owned Workforce Housing – 74 units
- Homeownership – DHA has developed and rehabilitated numerous homeownership and condominium units since 2000. Ownership – 146 units
DHA has a professional management and maintenance team and administers an annual budget in excess of $15 million, which includes capital outlays for comprehensive improvements.
Funding sources include the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), rental income, and limited other income. As one of the largest providers of affordable housing in Decatur, DHA has extensive experience in the management and development of residential rental property.
In keeping with its mandate to provide efficient and effective services, DHA is now soliciting proposals from qualified, licensed and insured entities to provide the above noted services to DHA. All proposals submitted in response to this solicitation must conform to all of the requirements and specifications outlined within this document and any designated attachments in its entirety.
Scope of Work:
The publicist or firm selected should, at a minimum, be able to provide the following services:
- Recommend, prepare, and engage in strategic PR activities that supports the DHA and their goals as a successful housing agency with a specific local mission to serve the City of Decatur.
- Promote public awareness of the Authority’s responsibilities through a public relations plan designed to promote a consistent and positive message.
- To develop and implement programs to improve communications and relationships throughout DeKalb County, Metro Atlanta and the State of Georgia.
- To develop effective outreach strategies, goals, and objectives to be used in advertising, promoting, and publicizing the Housing Authority.
- Engage with DHA in the cohesive and consistent messaging and communication efforts being undertaken with the redesign of DHA’s website, DHA’s annual report, and other related visual, digital, and written communications (NOTE: Another vendor will be responsible for the website and logo responsibilities, but coordination and input is needed).
- Provide support for the preparation of accurate, clear, and precise press releases using information provided by DHA.
- Effectively place press releases with relevant media resources to ensure the information is disseminated by the media.
- Assist in public event formats and presentations.
- Assist and manage press relations in response to disasters and write a crisis communication press release, as needed.
- Assist DHA in any related press, communications, or messaging, as is required.
January 8, 2018
Housing Authority of the City of Decatur, GA
Attn: Karen Atchley, Contract Administrative Assistant
750 Commerce Drive, Suite 400
Decatur, GA 30030
PR firms with real estate experience include Rubenstein PR and Rubenstein Communications.