The purpose of this procurement is to identify an advertising and marketing firm (vendor) to develop and execute a comprehensive communications plan to localize a newly updated GameSense brand identity to support a recognizable and consistent presence for the MGC GameSense brand in all forms of communication. This is to include all costs of production of marketing tools and advertising and placement costs.
The GameSense program is an innovative and comprehensive responsible gaming strategy adopted by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) as part of its mission to promote responsible play and mitigate problem gambling. GameSense combines advice on responsible gaming techniques with interactive tools and exhibits meant to engage patrons at Massachusetts casino gaming facilities and online at GameSenseMA.com.
Each Massachusetts gaming establishment is required by statute to provide on-site space (the GameSense Info Center) for player education, the only gaming jurisdiction required to do so. There, patrons can learn about myths associated with gambling, the odds of the games they are playing and how those games work. The GameSense Info Center also offers patrons the opportunity to take a break and seek support from a GameSense Advisor. Introduced by British Columbia Lottery Corporation (BCLC) in 2009, GameSense is an innovative, player-focused responsible gambling program that encourages players to adopt behaviors and attitudes that can reduce the risk of developing gambling disorders.
This includes setting and sticking to personally-allocated time and monetary limits for gambling, as well as being open and honest with family, friends and oneself when it comes to personal gambling habits. GameSense has earned international recognition such as the World Lottery Association’s Best Overall Responsible Gambling Program (2010), and the U.S. – based National Council on Problem Gambling’s Social Responsibility Award (2015). In addition to being licensed and piloted at all MGM Resort International North American casino properties, the program has also been implemented by the Connecticut Lottery, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission and Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Scope of Work:
- PROGRAM LAUNCH AT MGM SPRINGFIELD: Design and develop a comprehensive outreach campaign to launch the GameSense program and increase awareness of the GameSense Info Center at MGM Springfield. This strategy is aimed at introducing the GameSense program to patrons and educating MGM Springfield customers on responsible gaming. MGM Springfield is projected to open in September 2018. This outreach campaign requires a strategy that includes pre-opening, opening, and operational phase activity.
- BRAND INTRODUCTION IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS: Design, develop and implement a comprehensive campaign to increase awareness of the GameSense program in the Western Massachusetts. MGC is seeking a strategic and innovative approach to introduce the GameSense brand to the area surrounding MGM Springfield. Strategies might include, but are not limited to, innovative partnerships and “out of the box” awareness opportunities to increase GameSense visibility in the Western Mass market. As stated above, this outreach campaign requires a strategy that includes MGM Springfield pre- opening, opening, and operational phase activity.
- RE-LAUNCH UPDATED BRAND at PLAINRIDGE PARK CASINO: Design and develop a strategic plan to re-introduce the newly updated GameSense brand at Plainridge Park Casino. Assist MGC in determining the most impactful and effective way to phase-out the current GameSense brand and replace existing collateral with the new brand.
- WEBSITE REDESIGN: Redesign the existing GameSenseMa.com website to be more user-friendly and mobile responsive. Design and develop a mobile- friendly, easy-to-navigate, one-stop-shopping information center for responsible gaming education. The website should be hosted on a platform that is easy to administrate and update. The design should be in compliance with the Massachusetts and Federal accessibility standards. Vendor should recommend approach and tools for implementation, hosting and maintenance of the site.
- MARKETING: Apply the established BCLC GameSense brand identity to develop and/or update the collection of creative marketing materials that will increase awareness of the GameSense program, educate players about responsible gaming, and drive traffic to the website. Vendor is expected to develop creative concepts for unique marketing ideas. See Appendix A for the current inventory list. Collateral includes, but is not limited to:
- Brochures (multi-lingual)
- Digital signage
- Pull-up banners
- Promotional items
- ADVERTISING AND MEDIA BUY: Vendor will be required to develop an overall advertising and media buying strategy as well as the budget required to reach geographic and target audience demographics. The strategy should include a detailed plan to reach all target demographics in target geographic locations such as host and surrounding communities to casino licensees in Springfield and Plainville. Development phase leading up to a final advertising and media buy strategy will need to include, but not be limited to, input from stakeholders and other formative research. In addition, vendor will be required to assist with the selection and modifications of existing video spots already produced by BCLC or potentially develop several video segments that could be used across digital platforms and potentially as TV advertisements.
- DIGITAL STRATEGY: Develop a branded presence featuring the updated GameSense brand on the following social media channels: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Develop a collection of branded digital elements for promotional use by all stakeholders. Potential digital elements include:
- Social media graphics
- Editorial calendar with six months of digital content
- Other creative digital components
Phase II Campaign Activities (anticipated to start in 2019)
- PROGRAM LAUNCH AT WYNN BOSTON HARBOR: As part of the FY19 plan, design and develop a comprehensive outreach campaign to launch the GameSense program and increase awareness of the GameSense Info Center at Wynn Boston Harbor. This strategy is aimed at introducing the GameSense program to patrons and educating Wynn Boston Harbor customers on responsible gaming. Wynn Boston Harbor is projected to open in June 2019. This outreach campaign requires a strategy that includes pre-opening, opening, and operational phase activity.
- BRAND INTRODUCTION IN EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS: As part of the FY19 plan, design, develop and implement a comprehensive campaign to increase awareness of the GameSense program in the Eastern Massachusetts. MGC is seeking a strategic and innovative approach to introduce the GameSense brand to the area surrounding Wynn Boston Harbor. Strategies might include, but not limited to, innovative partnerships and “out of the box” awareness opportunities to increase GameSense visibility in the Eastern Massachusetts market. As stated above in number 8, this outreach campaign requires a strategy that includes Wynn Boston Harbor pre-opening, opening, and operational phase activity.
December 1, 2017
Agnes Beaulieu, Finance & Budget Office Manager
Massachusetts Gamine Commission
101 Federal Street, 12th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
PR firms with gaming experience include Finn Partners and Shift Communications.