New York Wine & Grape Foundation Issues Branding RFP
The New York Wine & Grape Foundation seeks a qualified consultant(s) to provide branding and design services to include
- Brand identification and key messaging
- Design and production of new logo
- Creation of impactful tagline
- Creation of the company-wide brand book
- Creation of a brand strategy implementation plan
To elevate the brand and visual identity the New York Wine & Grape Foundation through a set of unified brand guidelines, visual identity hierarchy and marketing messaging.
The New York Wine & Grape Foundation (NYWGF) was created by the State of New York in 1985 as a private, non-profit organization. The enabling legislation established a financing mechanism for promotion and research, providing the industry with both shortterm assistance and the potential for long-term viability. NYWGF’s programs are developed by a 21-member Board of Directors in consultation with other representatives from industry and state government. The activities carried out by NYWGF are designed to support all uses of New York-grown grapes from all regions of the state.
The mission of the NYWG (updated in May 2018) is to “promote the world-class image of New York grapes and wines from our diverse regions to responsibly benefit farmers, producers and consumers through innovative marketing, research, communication, and advocacy.”
The vision of the NYWGF (updated in May 2018) is “to be the world’s premier region for cool and cold climate viticulture.”
The brand identity for New York Wines requires an update to remain competitive with leading international wine regions. (Austria New Zealand Australia Napa, CA ) Investments in branding New York wines on a national scale has, and will continue, to benefit the industry. The New York Wine & Grape Foundation launched the “Uncork New York!” brand in a marketing campaign unveiled in 1987, leveraging a $1 million investment from the State of New York. The brand remains in use to this day, having last received an update in 2007. State-led wine grape promotion agencies in Washington and Virginia recently launched new brand identities to meet the demands of their growing industries.
The visual identity for New York Wines requires an updated message as a well as a new ‘look and feel’ to accurately and enthusiastically reflect the industry’s growth and increase recognition as a premium international grape growing and winemaking region.
Scope of Work:
- Audit existing brand, sub-brands, and marketing materials
o Conduct research of our primary internal and external audiences.
o Profile and segment research by targeted key audiences (consumers, wineries, grape growers, winery associated business).
o Perform a competitive analysis of peer institutions brand positions
Note: There is not an expectation to conduct in-depth surveys or focus groups. The goal is to benchmark the brand based on audience and peer institutions, and how to position a brand.
- Evaluate and update our visual identity and tagline
- Develop other essential brand identity elements, including clarity around the branding of major programs (NY Drinks NY, NY Wine Classic, NY Juice Grapes and NY Wines).
- Conduct a brand audit/benchmarking: that provides a market research/competitive analysis and establishes the brand positioning.
- Respondents will design a Brand Architecture Diagram that identifies the position of each of the sub-brands as they relate to one another and the parent brand.
- Design and present at least three (3) iterations of the organization’s visual identity and tagline. Visual identity means a mark (logo), font/typeface, color palette, one-sentence elaboration (“tagline’) on the brand for messaging purposes
o The mark (logo) must be effective in color and in black-and-white/grayscale.
o Final mark (logo) versions shall be suitable for use on:
- Printed brand collateral: stationery, printed materials, trade show booths, (i.e. banners, billboards, flyers, wine bags, clothing, wine guides, tv and radio advertising, and indoor and outdoor signage)
- Digital implementation: mark (logo) for use on NYWGF’s website and social networking sites.
- The brand book that incorporates:
o A brand strategy that specifies the organization’s primary audiences, brand values, personality, value proposition, brand positioning, and brand architecture o
Brand Package that includes final logos and tagline(s). The logo shall be provided in vector and sized pixel file formats, in JPG and EPS format that can be manipulated using Adobe Illustrator. The RGB color codes and hex values shall also be provided. The detailed brand package shall include fonts, brand assets, other graphic elements, and color palettes for a host of collateral materials.
o Branding and visual identity hierarchy for major programs
December 3rd, 2018.
Sam Filler, Executive Director
New York Wine & Grape Foundation
800 South Main Street, Suite 200
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Strong food and beverage PR firms include 5WPR and Hunter PR.