The North Little Rock Housing Authority, NLRHA, and its affiliated entities provide the community with opportunities to access housing assistance programs, affordable housing options and residential services centered on upward mobility. As the oldest public housing authority in the State, the NLRHA anticipates launching a $100 million plus investment in eight of our residential properties beginning in fall 2018 through new construction and substantial renovations. As a result, we seek to build a fresh new brand and highlight our work through positive public and media relation stories pitches, placement and meaningful events. Furthermore, in 2014, NLRHA formed Arkansas Housing and Community Development Corporation. AHCDC is a 501(C) 3 entity that supports the work of the Authority through community engagement, resident- based programming, fundraising and partnership cultivation.
The NLRHA, established in 1939, is a public body authorized by the United States Housing Act of 1937. The Authority is funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and operated in accordance with HUD’s regulations and guidelines. We are the oldest authority in the State of Arkansas. Our mission is to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing within the financial reach of low-income families, and elderly and disabled persons. We currently manage more than 1,000 units of low-income public housing consisting of four elderly/disabled high-rise buildings with over 600 apartments, four family complexes with over 500 apartments and over 1,100 Section 8 units throughout the city.
The Board of Commissioners of the Housing Authority of the City of North Little Rock is responsible for the governance of the Agency. It is comprised of five (5) members nominated by the Board and approved by the Mayor for five-year terms. The Board includes a “Resident Commissioner.”
- increasing the visibility of the NLRHA through branding and logo development
- communicating the success of the Authority’s varied operations including its nonprofit affiliate
- messaging the Authority’s multi-million investment in the new construction and rehabilitation of its eight (8) residential properties.
- enhancing the reputation of NLRHA as a provider of high quality affordable housing option
- strengthening the perception of NLRHA as a responsible steward of public and private funds
- broadening the Authority’s base of support as a contributor to the vitality and stability of the various North Little Rock communities in which we serve.
In the past because demand for NLRHA services far exceeded capacity, promotion of the Authority was not needed. While we remain at high capacity today, the Authority’s role is evolving from a traditional housing authority to an affordable housing provider and developer. As a result, we recognized the need to shed the traditional housing authority image and redefine the NLRHA identity.
Over the years, the NLRHA has expanded the population it serves and services it offers but community perceptions have not always kept pace with those changes. A formalized effort to publicize and promote NLRHA’s leadership role in the acquisition, development, and operation of affordable housing and provision of other housing services is critical to ensure that we can pursue potential opportunities for future projects, acquisitions and resident services.
Delivery of a uniform message and new identity among our new corporate office, satellite locations and residential properties, will help educate our residents, community, funders, and potential partners and reshape views of NLRHA while repositioning the authority as a local leader in affordable housing. NLRHA believes that a strong public profile and increased awareness of its expanded housing initiatives and recognition of the vital role it plays in the community is critical to the Authority’s ongoing success. Services provided under this RFP should focus on articulating the message that NLRHA is an innovative, responsive and responsible provider of affordable housing and housing related services.
- To date, no formal exploration or marketing has been conducted for NLRHA brand and its logo or
- NLRHA official logo is dated
- NLRHA uses several logos that consistency across its affiliate sites
- NLHRA serves as spokesperson for the organization
- Currently, there is not a consistent media strategy to highlight our positive work
Scope of Work:
NLRHA seeks a consulting firm with a proven record of accomplishment for creative excellence in brand and logo development to develop and assist with implementation. NLRHA may seek additional communication services in upcoming phases as outlined below.
Phase I: Brand and Logo Development:
- Evaluate whether our name, North Little Rock Housing Authority and its affiliates, are broad enough for the organization’s portfolio of diverse services, multiple business divisions and partnerships including and new construction and redevelopment efforts.
- Develop the key elements that make up the brand, such as the vision, positioning, identity, character, and promise with affiliates.
- Assist with creation of tagline
- Facilitate surveys of key constituents and present findings to committee, comprised of staff and a staff lead.
- Assist identifying all aspects of what needs rebranding including stationery, envelopes, business cards, etc.
- Design concepts for three logos in which one will be selected.
- Ensure that final logo is a vector-based file; preferably designed in Adobe Illustrator in full color, single-color and black and white; provided in additional formats including jpeg, png, and pdf that can be used in print, video and online and on vehicles and clothing.
- Create a style guide that illustrates graphic standards and rules to ensure consistency and continuity across applications and platforms. The guide should include a comprehensive logo, taglines, color palette, typography, and usage standards with sample identity applications.
Phase II: Public Relations:
- Assist NLRHA and its affiliated entities in developing an improved public information and media strategy.
- Assist the NLRHA with the roll out of its new housing redevelopment initiative
Rental Demonstration Program inclusive of talking points, serving as agency spokesperson and planning special events.
- Assist in the development of strategic partnerships with elected officials (municipal, county, state and federal) and other local stakeholders with expected outcomes of maximized recognition and increased support and community acceptance for NLRHA initiatives (housing development, acquisition, resident programming etc.).
- Provide public relations counsel and training to assist the Board of Commissioners, Executive Director, and selected senior staff in developing an “elevator pitch” about the Authority, its mission, and its public relations objectives.
- Assist NLRHA with promoting the agency’s brand, the issue of affordable housing or other housing issues through message development, story pitching/placement, or other techniques.
- Identify opportunities for the Authority to apply for awards in affordable housing or other relevant categories to increase support for NLRHA initiatives, priorities and efforts.
Phase III: Media Relations:
- Develop and implement proactive communications and public relations strategies to accurately portray the Authority and its programs and improve public acceptance of NLRHA programs and services.
- Use established media relationships to assist in securing optimal placement of press releases and other non-paid media to increase coverage and promote the Authority and its programs.
- Assist NLRHA in creating positive news stories highlighting program outcomes (possibly including photography and video as necessary) to promote and educate regarding the Authority’s mission. Assist in preparing op-eds and other types of media releases.
- Consult with and assist NLRHA and its housing partners to gain media attention for special events such as groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings, for Authority developed projects.
- Assist on an “as needed” basis with unexpected public and media relations situations.
- Assist in preparation of talking points and remarks for Board, Executive Director and senior staff as needed for public presentations.
May 24th, 2018
NORTH LITTLE ROCK HOUSING AUTHORITY
Attention: Jessica Reynolds
Contracting and Procurement Specialist
4901 Fairway Avenue, Ste. A
North Little Rock, AR 72116
MNS Publicity could be a possible fit for this assignment.
Top Public Relations News:
European Defence Agency Seeks Agency For Media and Communication Activities
PR News from APCO Worldwide, Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Porter Novelli, MSLGroup, Allison & Partners, B|W|R Public Relations, and FleishmanHillard
Food Processing Companies and The PR Companies that Represent Them
The University of Houston Downtown Issues Digital Marketing RFP
Chuck Porter – Ad Legend – Says PR is Better Than Advertising
Chipotle trying to woo back its customer base
My Florida Issues Marketing RFP
Good PR Professionals Can Make PPC Advertising Work Even Better
Free Social Media Conference: Retweet: Engagement Means Business
New Active PR Social Media Competition for Startups