STATE OF CALIFORNIA Seeks Advertising Agency
CDI is soliciting proposals from qualified outreach and advertising firms to implement an outreach and advertising campaign to increase the number of consumers enrolling in the California’s Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program.
The Community Programs and Policy Initiatives Branch (CPPI) is charged with creating outreach and advertising campaigns for the California Department of Insurance (CDI), including the following program:
California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program (CLCA)
California law requires that all drivers maintain proof of financial responsibility (e.g. auto insurance). The Department of Motor Vehicles requires that car owners provide proof of auto liability insurance in order to register their car. Approximately 15 percent of all cars on California’s roads are uninsured.
The State of California has developed the California Low Cost Automobile (CLCA) Insurance Program to provide income eligible, good drivers with access to affordable automobile liability insurance.
Since the Program’s inception, more than 120,000 people have received insurance through the program. Currently more than 15,000 are enrolled in the program. It is a priority of the California Department of Insurance (CDI) to dramatically increase the number of motorists covered under the program.
The policies are sold by licensed insurance agents or brokers (called “Producers”) and issued by California licensed insurance companies. The application process, and the assignment of applications to insurance companies, is managed by the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan (CAARP).
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- At least 19 years of age, as of February 1, 2018, be at least 16 years of age
- Own a vehicle valued at $25,000 or less
- Have a good driving record
- All cars in a household need to be insured through this program
- Meet income eligibility requirements (see www.mylowcostauto.com for current income levels)
More information about the program is available on the following websites:
CDI website (reports to legislature, etc.) www.insurance.ca.gov/lowcost Consumer website: www.mylowcostauto.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/mylowcostauto
CAARP website: www.aipso.com/PlanSites/CaliforniaLowCost.aspx
CDI anticipates a maximum budget of $1,837,500 for the 18 month term agreement and an additional $1,225,000.00 for the optional 12 month extension. However, CDI reserves the right to incorporate spending limitations on the agreement in order to meet the budget needs of the Department.
Scope of Work:
Description of Services/Project Tasks
- Partnerships with Community Based Organizations
Develop, submit and be prepared to verbally present, if selected for an interview, a plan to act as the Proposer’s Project Manager to develop and implement a program to subcontract with community based organizations (CBOs) in one or more regions of the state to walk CBO clients though the CLCA eligibility quiz and encourage enrollment.
The Proposer’s Project Manager will select subcontractors, create goals, track progress, determine funding provided to subcontractors, and provide oversight to subcontractors.
Subcontractors will conduct outreach, assist clients in taking the CLCA quiz and signing up for CLCA policies, and report outcomes to the Proposer’s Project Manager.
- Advertising Production & Media
Develop, submit and be prepared to verbally present, if selected for an interview, an advertising package designed to increase CLCA policy sales which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Online advertising to those seeking insurance or smog check or DMV auto registration services
- Ethnic print/radio/TV
- English language billboards/radio/TV Target populations include the following:
- Income eligible Californians actively shopping for auto insurance or near the date of automobile registration renewal
- Uninsured drivers
- Low-income communities and diverse communities
- Communities poorly served by public transit
- Present a sample of proposed advertising material in English and Spanish and other relevant languages
- Provide detail about creative subcontractors to be used during the campaign
iii. Collateral Materials
Develop and produce integrated consumer education and outreach materials, including but not limited to brochures, posters, flyers, signage, displays, press kits and other collateral material in English, Spanish and other languages as needed.
- Use of a theme/logo providing a consistent look to all program/media materials. Current materials should be considered with further consideration for possible updating
- Graphic design and layout
- Printing/production of materials
- Language translations
- Bulk distribution of materials, postage, shipping and handling
- Website and Social Media
Develop, host and make on-going improvements to the program’s consumer-facing website (www.mylowcostauto.com), including translation into other languages.
Evaluate and propose Internet, website and social media efforts in order to increase the number of consumers signing up for the program.
- a) Bi-Weekly Report
Provide bi-weekly written reports and documentation outlining planning, development, and measurable results, including enhancements as requested by CDI regarding program implementation and results. The bi-weekly report shall include personnel and subcontractors, if any, responsible for these activities. In addition, CDI reserves the option to request the contractor to meet and discuss the bi-weekly report.
- b) Yearly Comprehensive Report
Provide a yearly, comprehensive written report. The yearly comprehensive report shall provide an overall summary of the Project Tasks and quantify the activities and accomplishments of the Project Tasks.
- c) Annual Report to the Legislature
Provide layout, design, and documentation (including graphs, charts and photos) for the Annual Report on the CLCA Consumer Education and Outreach Plan to the Legislature, which details outreach/advertising results for the prior year, and the outreach/advertising plan for the coming year.
April 12th, 2018
California Department of Insurance
Business Management Bureau
Attn: Mark Valim
300 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
California PR firms include Zeno Group and Edelman PR.