University of Maine Seeks Market Research Company:
The University of Southern Maine is seeking a market research company. USM is a community-engaged university with especially close ties with the city of Portland. The University is interested in exploring whether to change its name to one that more clearly demonstrates this close association.
Established in 1968, the University of Maine System (UMS) unites seven distinctive public universities, comprising 10 campuses and numerous centers, in the common purposes of providing quality higher education while delivering on its traditional tripartite mission of teaching, research, and public service.
Maine’s largest educational enterprise, the University extends its mission as a major resource for the state, linking economic growth, the education of its people, and the application of research and scholarship.
A comprehensive public institution of higher education, UMS serves nearly 40,000 students annually and is supported by the efforts of more than 2,000 full-time and part-time faculty, more than 3,000 regular full-time and part-time staff, and a complement of part-time temporary (adjunct) faculty.
Reaching more than 500,000 people annually through educational and cultural offerings, the University of Maine System also benefits from more than two-thirds of its alumni population residing within the state; more than 123,000 individuals.
The System consists of the following seven universities: University of Maine (UM); University of Maine at Machias (UMM); University of Maine at Augusta (UMA); University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI); University of Maine at Farmington (UMF); University of Southern Maine (USM); and, University of Maine at Fort Kent (UMFK). Situated in Maine’s economic and cultural center, the University of Southern Maine (USM) is a public university with 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students taking courses online and at campuses in Portland, Gorham and Lewiston-Auburn. Known for its academic excellence, student focus and engagement with the community, USM provides students with hands-on experience that complements classroom learning and leads to employment opportunities in one of the nation’s most desirable places to live. USM is the second largest of the seven universities in the University of Maine System.
Scope of Work:
The University is seeking a market research firm capable of handling diverse range of needs including:
- Consultation and strategy for development for both qualitative and quantitative research efforts. This project would explore a possible name change for the University.
- Research design, market approach, survey design and implementation including focus groups.
- Research findings insight, analysis, interpretation and presentation including executive level summaries and reports.
Specifically, it would seek to measure:
- Current perceptions of USM among likely college bound students and key influencers (guidance counselors, parents) both inside Maine and outside of Maine (primarily New England).
- Whether a name change would enhance (or detract) from people’s interest in considering USM, attending USM or recommending USM.
- Test one to three possible new names.