The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (“MD Anderson”) seeks an expanded national presence in top-tier news media outlets. These efforts already are part of an ambitious public and media relations program designed to bring greater attention to MD Anderson‘s outstanding programs in patient care, research, education and prevention, as well as manage and enhance the institution’s reputation.
Fulfillment of MD Anderson’s mission to end cancer depends in large part on the institution’s success in educating the public about progress and new developments in cancer research, prevention, treatment and survivorship. Media visibility is a key element in the process of disseminating that information. Additionally, MD Anderson has significant fundraising, business development, cause marketing, brand management and marketing goals that will be aided by greater national earned media visibility.
MD Anderson seeks to expand the institution’s visibility in select media and to become an even greater cancer information resource for reporters, editors, producers and others who influence the reporting of health, medicine and biomedical research news. A public relations and media vendor/agency can help overcome the institution’s challenge of being located outside of the nation’s leading media markets. The vendor/agency also can assist MD Anderson’s public relations office, extend its reach, keep abreast of trend stories and media interests as well as emerging media platforms, and suggest new ways to effectively collaborate with influential media resources.
- In collaboration with MD Anderson executive and public relations leadership, develop and execute an original and distinctive strategic and tactical three-year media and public relations plan to increase MD Anderson’s presence and position nationally. The plan must detail goals and objectives, key strategies, target audiences, tactics, timelines, estimated costs and success metrics.
Plan activities will include, but are not limited to:
- Aggressive, proactive national public relations and communications activities to initiate and grow media interest in MD Anderson and to position the institution as the cancer leader poised to end the disease.
- Execute traditional and innovative tactics to build relationships and share information with key top tier, national news media and social media platforms, such as news releases, graphics, animations, media desk sides, briefings, etc.
- Translate and deliver complex scientific and clinical information to a variety of consumer, donor, corporate, policy, peer, and talent recruitment audiences leveraging a range of traditional, digital and social media platforms and mechanisms.
- Placement of coverage related to science, patient care, prevention, early detection and cancer control on behalf of MD Anderson in key media, such as major magazines and newspapers of national reach, social and digital media platforms, and broadcast news programs.
- Proactive story placement and reactive media relations activities to include writing, pitching and placing leadership, faculty, patient, caregiver, donor and staff pieces.
- Targeted pitching and news release distribution
- Identify, generate, pitch, coordinate and monitor media opportunities
- Develop interview preparation overviews and debriefings, as well as provide media training, when needed
- Collaborative opinions and editorial development efforts
- Implementation of strategic thought-leadership plan focused on institutional experts on the national and international level.
- Support media outreach related to institutional philanthropic initiatives, as needed.
- Occasional consultation with MD Anderson’s public relations team and leadership on reputation management issues, crisis communications or other institutional communications challenges.
Proposals are due by May 12 to:
Associate Vice President of Communications, Unit 700
The University of Texas
MD Anderson Cancer Center 1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77030
Top Public Relations News:
Verizon Pushes Upgrade Fee
FTI Consulting Points to US Investor “Dunno” Over Africa
Sage Communications: Communications Company Profile
News Happenings From Hotels.com, The Hoffman Agency, Sitrick & Company, and WPP / PPG
Fallbrook Public Utility District Seeking New Internet Website
University of Missouri Issues Marketing RFP
Wal-Mart Putting the Screws to the Competition
Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game Seeks Social Media Marketing Agency
Create, Send, Track Email Campaigns with Swiftpage
APCO Tags Mike Tuffin for D.C. Leadership