How to Market Web Apps Online
With more than 1 billion websites that are online every day, it is difficult to get the attention from people whom you want to market your product, especially if you’re still starting to grow your brand from scratch.
In the tech industry, there are already existing websites that are dominating the web in providing great content (blog posts, reviews, guides) to people they want to target.
If you’re a web app site owner, there are tons of things that you need to consider not to get behind from the competition and still attracting sales from your targeted customers.
In this post, I’d like to share a few tips on how you can market your tech-related website.
Choose a good hosting provider
If you’ve been blogging for quite some time now, you already know that a good hosting provider will positively impact your website in terms of providing life time website experience to visitors.
Server errors and issues brought by a bad hosting provider are some problems that you may encounter if you choose not to invest your money in a good hosting.
If you’re using WordPress, you can choose any of the listed hosting provider sites here. Find one that is most recommended (proven to provide high quality services) but is still affordable to pay in a monthly or yearly basis.
Publish useful content
It doesn’t mean that you are not a techy person, you can’t write any posts related to technology or web apps. In fact, a simple research on the most common problems faced by non-techy people (e.g. senior citizens) and sharing how to solve them in your blog posts could already be considered as a useful content.
A good example of a useful app-enabled accessories website is Appcessories. It consistently publishes news, reviews and resources about the latest tech-related accessories for niches like health, fitness & sport and cameras.
A list post like this is a one good example of content that requires only a small amount of time and effort to research and write about.
Ways to find ideas for app or tech-specific websites:
- Head over to Reddit and search for discussions/sections that are related to your brand. Look for the type of content with the highest number of upvotes and see how you can discuss that same topic on your blog.
- Search for niche-specific questions on Quora and answer them for each of your blog post.
- Ask your sales team if they are receiving questions related to the categories of your blog. Those questions are good to answer in your blog posts since they are the type of topics people are looking for on search.
- Go back to your older blog posts and identify which of them gained the highest traffic and engagement numbers. Replicate the type of content to your future blog posts to ensure traffic will come to your website.
Aside from publishing web app based posts on your blog, you should also know how to promote them to your audience (particularly those who have not read any of your posts).
Ways to promote your content:
- Find tech-related blogs that publish posts that are similar to your content. Reach out to them using your email account or social profiles like Twitter and just simply send them the link of your content if they’d be interested to see the page.
- Search for app or tech forums where you can engage with other participants and promote your content to discussions when it is appropriate to share.
- Link to your site’s content from your content distribution efforts (e.g. guest posts), using descriptive anchor texts.
Find app directories
If you’re looking for some easy links, then you can submit your website to a few app directories. In this age of internet marketing, you can find tons of app directories where you only need basic details of your website to submit your site to them.
You can do a Google search to find those directories (use this search query/phrase: inurl:directories “apps” “submit”)
Just take note that you don’t need to put all of your effort submitting your blog/site to those directories, a few links from them is enough to start your link building campaign.
Invest in relationship building for content promotion
There are many ways to promote your content, page or website but the most important method to actually get the word out of your brand is to invest in relationship building.
Building relationships with like-minded people both offline and online is one effective way to start building a small but solid community in your niche. Since you will be able to connect with them frequently, it would be easy for them to know about your brand, get in touch with your team members and perform any necessary actions that you wish for them to take for your business or website.
Below are a few things that you can use to search for industry influencers and bloggers:
- Use Buzzsumo to find local-specific bloggers that you can engage with (even in the offline world), as you can get dine with them and talk about possible partnership between you and them.
- Simple Google search for [niche] influencers would give you a good list of bloggers who’ve written similar content of yours (topics that can resonate with your target audience).
- Use Followerwonk to look for top social personalities who can potentially amplify your content through social sharing.
- Search for top blogs in general high quality directories like Alltop, identify the owners of those blogs and list them down in a spreadsheet.
Marketing a web app website is not an easy task do, as it will require your time and effort to think highly of what you want to promote and ways on how you can show them to your target audience.
Start your marketing campaign by looking at what your audience’ wants and needs, identify the missing marks of your competitors and use them as your own advantage to effectively understand topics that you will use for your content.