The Everything PR list of the top 100 free and paid tools for monitoring the media for the public relations industry.
Hundreds of media monitoring tools are available online. But finding the right ones can be challenging. Many are difficult to find, others cost more than you want to pay, and still others aren’t worth the time it takes to look for them. So what’s a media monitoring fool to do? As it used to say in the Mighty Man cartoons (look it up), “Here we are to save the day!”
We put our pointed little head to great task searching the web near and far – well, at least on a few different mobile and desktop devices to compile this amazing collection of 100 such sources (software, applications and service providers).
Some of these Media Tools are free, some require a fee, and some let you take a free spin around the block so you can decide if you want to take it home and make it your own. All of them perfect for PR, Social Media, Marketing and communications professionals to use in 2015.
This list gives you a plethora of choices, and just enough information to let you know if it might be a great fit for your specific needs. If we managed to miss one, tell us (and everyone else) all about it in the comments section.
- Adobe SiteCatalyst provides marketers with actionable, real-time intelligence about online strategies and marketing initiatives. SiteCatalyst helps marketers quickly identify the most profitable paths through their Web site, determine where visitors are navigating away from their site, and identify critical success metrics for online marketing campaigns.
- Cymfony’s Verismo helps PRs demonstrate their success in simple, clear metrics. The Verismo methodology captures the essential elements of successful communications: Visibility, Reputation, Influence and Sentiment. This VRIS Model, or Verismo, defines and weights these elements in collaboration with the client in a model that aligns PR results with business goals.
- Crimson Hexagon’s platform for social media monitoring and analysis empowers companies to gain actionable insight into consumer opinion of their brand, product, or market by tapping into the billions of conversations taking place in online media.
- Actionly is a Social Media Monitoring dashboard and listening platform. On Actionly you can monitor what people are saying about your brand, products or industry terms on various social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Google Buzz, Blogs, and News.
- Digimind provides a comprehensive suite of tools to support the repetitive tasks of competitive intelligence – including data collection, information management, data analysis and publication – while supporting all Internet formats – web pages, invisible web, blogs, forums, RSS feeds, etc.
- J.D. Power’s technology provides multiple levels of analysis, creating a broad, yet detailed view of the conversation landscape. Comprehensive analyses identify competitive issues and barriers to adoption, as well as how different segments relate to or are impacted by the specific product or topic.
- Jive enables real-time visibility of competitor issues and commentary. Discover product gaps and vulnerabilities. Exploit them instantly by engaging and commenting. Steal customers away.
- Dialogix is a social media monitoring tool that shows you exactly what is being said about your brand, industry and competitors in Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, news websites, forums, MySpace, Facebook and much more. Track sentiment, create a database of key influencers and then keep on top of the buzz.
- Tracking millions of daily micro-conversations from the real-time social Web, ContextVoice helps you get business intelligence and real-time insights and analytics about consumers.
- Buzz Manager constantly searches the internet for information about your organization or specific individual subjects. It measures and analyzes the “Buzz,” and then accurately presents the results in time saving, easy-to-use reports.
- Echo Sonar – monitor, evaluate and act with up to the minute news, broadcast and social media (blogs, forums, micro-blogs & online discussion) analysis. This low-cost, digital media analysis system allows you to measure your total online media presence globally from the recognised leaders in reputation research – real time – without the cost of cuttings agencies.
- MotiveQuest is able to “see” the “peaks of passion” in online conversations to understand customer motivations.
- ComMetrics – Relevant blog metrics for diary, personal and business blogs
- Chatterscope is an alert and analysis platform for brands to track their reputations on Twitter. It uses sentiment analysis to alert you about positive or negative mentions of a brand, and then provides historic trend analysis of those mentions.
- CustomScoop PR Measurement Solutions: ClipIQ online news clipping and blog monitoring was designed with PR Measurement in mind, providing clients with a wide range of reporting and analysis tools. BuzzPerception provides in-depth analysis reports that help you measure the success of your public relations campaigns.
- Alterian SM2 is extremely versatile with a variety of easy-to-use reporting options that have drill down capabilities for more targeted analysis. SM2 automatically determines the sentiment of a conversation, so you know exactly how people are feel about your brand.
- BrandsEye not only traces and assesses your online presence but provides you with a real-time Reputation Score for both you and your competitors. This allows companies to monitor the sentiments and opinions of their own customers, while making educated judgements about how to respond to attacks on their online reputation.
- Cognito Analytics is a highly targeted, accurate and reliable service for companies in the financial sector to track and improve their media profile.
- Kontagent – deep social data visualization and analysis that delivers actionable insights delivered via a hosted, on-demand service.
- Imooty was developed with a grant from the German Ministry of Economics and Technology in 2008. PR professionals and marketers, gain real time insights on the latest news and trends that matters to them. Set your goal, define the tasks and milestones, and create accountability within your team.
- BlogScope is an analysis and visualization tool for blogosphere which is being developed as part of a research project at the University of Toronto. It is currently tracking over 50.36 million blogs with 1307.00 million posts.
- Brandmetric – Spanish brand-monitoring platform which tracks relevant topics on blogs, video and photo sharing web sites, in real time.
- MetaTale is an advanced social media analysis tool, allowing you to locate your market’s key influencers. Dutch only – English version TBR.
- LexisNexis provides its Analytics capability, which automates sentiment analysis and influence rating, to monitor and measure reputation by analysing comment on web sites, social media and traditional media. LexisNexis Analytics is now integrated with Augure’s campaign and workflow tools, ComSuite and ComDecision, which will allow PR professionals to track and respond to online coverage immediately.
- Mamba IQ tracks brands, companies, products and people. Reads and understands what is written across blogs, forums, news sites, social media, audio and video.
- ALPACA consists of web spiders that mine the entire Internet looking for topics of conversation, deep into the Internet to look for data that even the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) do not and cannot return. It features sentiment analysis, natural language processing and more. Created by wool.labs.
- AMP provides marketers monitoring tools across the social web, and then allows relevant information to be actionable. View, monitor and moderate performance across major social networks – Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and more.
- Cligs: Short URLs with analytics, social media monitoring and geotargeting. Cligs has been recently aquired by Mister Wong, a social bookmarking service with portals in 6 languages and over 7 million monthly users globally.
- Converseon is a multiple-award winning full service social consultancy that helps leading brands “join the conversation” to meet business objectives. Converseon provides the listening/engagement technologies (Conversation Miner™), organizational consulting and engagement/activation services to provide a unique “end to end” social solution for leading enterprises.
- Context Optional provides a full suite of tools for managing effective social marketing campaigns. The Social Marketing Suite is the first integrated tool for marketers to launch, monitor and measure marketing campaigns on Facebook.
- NM Incite products act as the building blocks for the services and solutions that uncover and integrate data-driven insights culled from a 130 million blogs, social networks, groups, boards and other CGM platforms.
- MutualMind is a web application that helps businesses and marketing companies monitor as well as promote brands on social networks while providing actionable analytics and insights to increase social media ROI
- Marchex Reputation Management easily tracks and analyzes online listings, comments, critiques and glowing reviews about your business — all in one place.
- With Media Control Center, you gain access to the most complete media monitoring service available and bring unprecedented control to your communications efforts. By merging all of the needed tools into one dashboard, you can review, organize, analyze, share, and store your broadcast, online news and social media mentions.
- Campaign by Visible Measures is the industry-standard solution for online video campaign performance measurement. Campaign provides complete performance measurement, actionable data, and competitive benchmarking for your online video campaigns. Campaign comes with an always-on dashboard for monitoring in-market campaign performance.
- Covario Social Media Insight™ helps an advertiser understand how fast its marketing messages are penetrating its customers, understand the level of people receiving the marketing message, understand how far its marketing message is going, and how fast its growing, understand its overall corporate, brand(s) and/or product(s) perception in the marketplace.
- Realmon9 is the first Google app for monitoring social media. Developed by Web2express.org to help organizations to build custom social media monitoring pipeline and social CRM.
- Recorded Future’s linguistics and statistics algorithms extract time-related information and through temporal reasoning helps users understand relationships between entities and events over time, to form the world’s first temporal analytics engine.
- Netpinions™ consumer buzz tracking service provides an effective, time-efficient, and economical way to identify what consumers are saying about a company or its products
- Evolve24 integrates best-in-class content collection & listening technology, communications measurement and outreach tools, and text analytics engines to produce the business intelligence platform: The Mirror Dashboard and Analytics Suite.
- Integrasco provides media monitoring solutions and insight through analysis that helps you measure and manage how you and your company are perceived in social media – and what you need to do to build and maintain your reputation.
- IBM SPSS Modeler Professional makes it easy to discover insights in your data. Its simple graphical interface puts the power of data mining in the hands of business users while high-performance capabilities increase analyst productivity.
- Reputation 2.0 (Italian) – social media monitoring platform, with a focus on reputation management.
- RESONATE collects from blogs, Twitter, Facebook, mainstream news, forums, comments, video and image sites – all public data, then tracks and trends key performance indicators such as sentiment, influencers and demographics.
- RowFeeder can track any word, phrase, hashtag, or username on Twitter and Facebook, analyzing the performance of a specific social media campaign for reach, participation, and engagement.
- Radian6 is the complete solution for your organization’s social media monitoring and engagement.
- Reputation Defender – constantly search the Deep Web for references to you that Google won’t find
- OpenMic collects, analyzes, and reports rich and relevant insights derived from multiple channels of customer interaction including social media, emails, text messages, voice-to-text comments, web forms, and surveys.
- PR specialists use Press Army to monitor their customers brands; to quickly identify key issues, understand consumer opinion, identify opinion leaders and plan appropriate strategies and responses.
- Use RepuTrace™ to Monitor, Analyse and Measure the timely retrieval of intelligence from Web sites, blogs, chat rooms, social networks and media worldwide that would otherwise take your workplace precious time to compile.
- The first intuitive, enterprise-grade social media solution 100% for hotels, Revinate brings order to the chaos of guest reviews, online reputation and social media marketing.
- Sprout Social is more than a brand monitoring tool. It offers a dashboard that allows users to store all their social media connections in one place, complete with history, notes, and more.
- SNS can help you manage complete aspects of social communications on multiple Facebook and Twitter channels. These aspects include content management, feed/RSS automation, user engagement, marketing campaigns, real-time click-through stats, brand monitoring, etc.
- StartPR helps you find, manage and respond to mentions of your company, your brand, your products, your service and your people online. StartPR is the easier, more effective and more organized way to keep up to date and engage with bloggers and social networks users.
- SkyGrid solves information overload for all of us, by providing you with the ability to see what events, people and topics are spreading the fastest across the Internet through a “stream browser.”
- smmart – Spanish social media analytics tool.
- Social Media Metabase monitors more than 1.3 million social media sources including blogs, podcasts, social video, photo sharing sites, microblogs, wikis, reviews, and forums–culling out 1.2 million posts daily.
- Social Mention is a social media search and analysis platform that aggregates user generated content from across the universe into a single stream of information. It monitors 100+ social media properties directly including: Twitter, Facebook, FriendFeed, YouTube, Digg, Google etc.
- Social Radar allows you to track, measure, analyze, and understand chatter from all over the Web in an easy-to-use web-based control panel.
- Silverbakk Briefing Room is a monitoring and analytics tool for companies that are interested in what information that creates engagement and social activity. The platform monitors Facebook, Twitter, microblogs, real time video services like Bambuser and Qik, Flickr, Photobucket and many others.
- Scup – Brazilian social media monitoring company. Monitors Twitter, Blogs, Flickr, YouTube, Yahoo Answers and many others. Focus on analytics and sentiment analysis.
- Sentiment360 provides a holistic, business driven solution for new media analysis and response. Customers can monitor the online pulse of their brands and products down to the most detailed levels using a range of customizable, Sentiment360 powered dashboards.
- SentiMetrix measure sentiments or opinions expressed in the electronic media (such as news, blogs, newsgroups) worldwide.
- Socialytics provides rich insights into your social media marketing effectiveness. Powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use features let you visualize and analyze the results of your social marketing programs. With Socialytics you can optimize your targeting and messaging, strengthen your social marketing initiatives, and design more effective campaigns.
- SocialPointer provides Real-Time Social Media Monitoring tools for marketing agencies & individuals and enables them to track, monitor and respond in Real-time to relevant social mentions and user conversation.
- SocialSense mines social media data to fuel insights that drive better marketing decisions.
- SocialSenseFB taps into Facebook’s Graph API to deliver insights from your brand’s Facebook Pages.
- Social Sniffer is an online tracking tool for social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Digg etc. It keeps track of your profile and gives you results in a chart to easily visualize your profile progress.
- Spredfast is an enterprise-class solution that empowers your company or organization to communicate across all of your social media channels, measure the effectiveness of each conversation, and prove the value of social media.
- SocialTALK helps you better manage and measure your social media presence and impact.
- SWIX helps companies measure and manage their social media marketing campaigns.
- Symscio offers a fully integrated measurement system that gives you the power and flexibility to know how your brand is being positioned at any given moment. Email reports, view presentation ready dashboards, and filter to view the segment of coverage that matters to you.
- Sideline from Yahoo! monitors real-time mentions of specific keywords, brands or names. Sideline is an Adobe® AIR™ desktop application built with the Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI). It allows users to create and group custom queries by topics of interest.
- Sysomos provides public relations agencies with a powerful set of analytic tools to access billions of conversations – both historical and real-time.
- Spiral16 monitors, measures and analyzes digital content, seeking the most relevant online information for its clients.
- YackTrack allows users to search for comments on their content from various sources or other blogs that talk about their content. YackTrack currently supports Blogger/Blogspot, Digg, Disqus, FriendFeed, Google Blog Search, Google Reader, Identi.ca, IntenseDebate, Mixx, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Technorati, Twitter, TypePad/MoveableType and WordPress blogs.
- Tweetlytics – social media monitoring & analytics for Twitter & Facebook.
- ThoughtBuzz helps you determine what’s important and what’s just noise.
- Tattler allows users to: effectively monitor topic mentions on the Web; discover the most active and influential sources discussing the topic; and track trends.
- Tealium Social Media – a new service that lets social media marketers and PR professionals measure the true ROI of their activities.
- Terametric collects and analyzes data from online, offline and social marketing channels to calculate performance as ROI. The application delivers findings through an on-demand Saas platform using interactive dashboards and data visualization to allow users to view high-level, overall results and drill down into tactical, channel details.
- TweetReports helps users track customer sentiment, receive real-time search results, analytics, reports, or research SEO keywords to attract a larger audience.
- TweetTwain constantly monitors Twitter public timeline for brand mentions, and offers other advanced features for Twitter power users as well.
- Twitalyzer is the leading provider of measurement and analysis services for Twitter.
- The twendz Twitter-mining Web application uses the power of Twitter Search, highlighting conversation themes and sentiment of the tweets that talk about topics you are interested in.
- Tweettronics offers powerful Twitter metrics and brand monitoring tools that are simple to use.
- TweetLevel is a Twitter measurement tool created by @jonnybentwood and @alexparish at Edelman, that measures an individual’s importance on Twitter.
- Trackur monitors just about every mainstream and social media outlet on the web. Newspaper articles, magazines, blogs, images, video, and Twitter are just some of the types of content Trackur monitors. It also features trends, sentiment tagging and more.
- Trendrr allows you to track the popularity and awareness of trends across a variety of inputs, ranging from social networks, to blog buzz and video views downloads, all in real time.
- TrendyBuzz – French based online monitoring tool, searches and analyzes about 1 200 000 active sources. Metrics, sentiment analytics and clippings also available.
- SlideShare Pro features analytics with detailed stats for each presentation, document and videos, and also a “track buzz” service that allows users to find out who is sharing their content on Twitter and Facebook.
- Whitevector’s Site Metrics service provides information about web sites where consumers address particular interest towards different product and service categories. The information helps in both mapping out online environment for a chosen category as well as in finding relevant web sites where a marketer could reach interested consumers.
- uberVU community metrics and analytics – return whole conversations in a single thread – not just the post (like on Google blogsearch), but comments to the post from all over the Web – blogs, Twitter, Digg, FriendFeed, Reddit and a lot more.
- WebDig is a next-generation business intelligence and analysis engine that finds, aggregates, and interprets an exhaustive source of digital word-of-mouth (WOM) content.
- WebClipping is a media monitoring and analytics company that tracks and analyzes millions of online voices from traditional media, new media, social networks and blogs.
- Viralheat is a social measurement platform that covers hundreds of viral video destination sites, Twitter, and millions blogs & websites.
- VanksenWatch a SaS platform focused on counterfeit monitoring, buzz monitoring and e-reputation management, conversation audits, competition monitoring, influence marketing and community management.
- Vocus PR – track and evaluate company, product and spokespeople mentions, monitor issue response, check on industry trends, and track competitors.
- Visible Technologies – media monitoring platform preferred by the likes of Microsoft to monitor buzz and connect with people who might influence buying decisions. The application identifies ‘influential’ bloggers and the number of people they reach.
- Trends by Visible Measures is a unique Web-based application for benchmarking online video ad campaign and content performance. Trends allows you to understand, review, and compare the effectiveness of hundreds of online video campaigns across a full spectrum of performance metrics.
This is an ever-evolving list. New Social Media and PR apps are being offered every day for all kinds of things, including media monitoring, so we expect it will need updating occasionally. That’s where we can always use a little helping hand from our friends and colleagues.
If you’ve discovered a helpful tool, not on our list – shout about it so we can add it to the list, and everyone is benefited. If you are using any of the above and have helpful information to share, do that too – Please!
Top Public Relations News:
Everything You Need to Know About the Public Relations Job Interview Process
LeapFrog Interactive Grows Creative Team
PR Parents Just Don’t Understand: 72% of Public Relations Pro’s Don’t “Get” PR
Lubbock, Texas Issues Lobbying RFP
Uber Sending Self-Driving Cars Back to California
Shasta Regional Transportation Agency Issues Marketing RFP
Washington State Seeking Economic Development Agency
Alex Rodriguez Clinging by a Thread, Whining Via Mouthpieces
Website Design and Development RFP Issued
Ed Mullins SBA and NYPD Letter To Google’s CEO