Lobbying RFP Issued By Santa Clara Valley
The Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority (“Authority”) is soliciting proposals from consultants to provide legislative consulting and lobbying support services
Specific objectives include:
• Monitor legislation relevant to the Authority and notify the Authority of bills and/or amendments to bills that are likely to impact the Authority’s interests and operations.
• Consult with the Authority and initiate appropriate advocacy actions to advance the Authority’s position regarding state legislation and funding.
• Serve as the principal contact between the Authority and the Legislature and various relevant state agencies.
The Authority is an independent special district created on February 1, 1993, by an act of the Legislature and is governed by a seven-member elected board of directors. The Authority serves a large portion of Santa Clara County by protecting sensitive lands, preserving natural communities, and managing open space. The Authority has preserved over 25,000 acres, which include four preserves with over 25 miles of trail. Activities on the preserves include hiking, cycling, horseback riding, and nature study.
Scope of Work:
• Monitor legislation relevant to the Authority and notify the Authority of bills or amendments to bills that are likely to impact Authority interests and operations and summarize them for readability. This includes bills and amendments that are not conservation-specific such as housing bills that impact land use policies, etc.
• In consultation with the Authority, initiate appropriate advocacy actions to advance the Authority’s position regarding state legislation and funding.
• Draft letters of support, opposition and comment as appropriate for state legislative and funding program matters.
• Serve as principal contact between the Authority and the Legislature.
Build and strengthen relationships between the Authority and legislators in the Authority’s district and other legislators involved in legislation and policy relevant to the Authority’s mission.
o Coordinate periodic meetings with legislative members and/or their staff representatives at the Authority’s request and attend those meetings with Authority staff.
o Represent the Authority in meetings with legislators and staff to provide information that advances the Authority’s position on legislation that affects the Authority.
o Represent the Authority in legislative hearings.
• Serve as principal contact between the Authority and the State Administration.
o Represent the Authority in meetings with various state agencies, including, but not limited to, the Department of Fish and Wildlife, Department of Conservation, Wildlife Conservation Board and the Strategic Growth Council on legislation and policy that affects the Authority.
o Advise and represent the Authority on specific funding projects with state agencies.
• Monitor funding programs and legislation and advise and develop strategies for the Authority to engage in new state and federal funding opportunities.
o Advise, engage and represent the Authority in the annual state budget process on programs that have potential to fund Authority projects.
o Engage and represent the Authority on strategies to obtain Cap & Trade Auction Revenue for natural resources, including funding for open space protection.
o Advise, engage and represent the Authority in meetings with state agencies whose programs could fund Authority projects.
• Prepare and submit all forms required by the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) and other regulatory bodies for Authority review, as relevant to reporting of lobbying activity, including but not limited to Form 635, including any necessary follow-up, on behalf of the Authority.
Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority
33 Las Colinas Lane
San Jose, CA 95119