Public Relations RFP Issued By City of Agoura Hills
The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to identify the appropriate consultant
to support the City of Agoura Hills’ strategic communications, media relations, and
public relations priorities. The City of Agoura Hills continually works to improve
processes to increase community awareness, responsiveness, and engagement. Our
desired partner will have the capacity to, among other things:
• Provide strategic counsel and direction, actively share and promote our
message(s) consistent with the City Council’s and City Manager’s direction,
• Amplify City-successes
• Minimize the impact of controversial issues
• Play an active role in implementation of the City’s approved Strategic
Communications Plan, and
• Assist the City in being in the best position to meet the communication needs of
the residents and businesses of Agoura Hills.
Additionally, the selected firm will be responsible for assisting in the development and
support of the City’s public relations and efforts to maximize communications efforts
aimed at key news and media outlets. The selected firm must be able to provide strong
media & PR strategic insight and message development to assist the City with proactive
messaging campaigns, and effective approaches to handling emergencies and/or crises
Agoura Hills is a unique suburban community exemplified by a commitment to the preservation of its history, a high quality of life, a vibrant business community, and environmental sensitivity.
We are a city steeped in a rich historical past through which we have emerged as a vital, prosperous community committed to excellence, innovation, and sound fiscal policies. Our neighborhoods are safe, healthy, and as unique as the individuals who inhabit them.
We believe the City’s greatest asset is our people and we welcome the involvement of all those who live and work in the City of Agoura Hills to partner with us in making this community one of excellence.
We are committed to preserving the unique character, historical and rural fabric, and environmental beauty that defines Agoura Hills to its residents. We will accomplish this through the values of Service, Integrity, Positive Solutions, and Cooperation.
Scope of Work:
The consultant’s services shall include, but not be limited to, any combination of the following:
• Participate in City’s Public Information Team (“PIT crew”), and assist with weekly messaging strategy and content.
• Review and assist in implementation of City’s Strategic Communications Plan.
• Website review for overall consistency, clarity, and appearance, up-to-date content.
• Provide guidance and recommendations on appropriate use of various media platforms, including but not limited to, website, local Acorn newspaper, social media outlets such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Nextdoor, and the City’s Emergency Notification System, CodeRED.
• Prepare press releases, speeches and/or talking points, articles, ads, social media posts, and other communication materials for public distribution/consumption.
• Plan press conferences and draft speeches for major news announcements and/or to address crises.
• Be active member of City’s Emergency Operations Team when needed, and be available for timely responses and communication to the public. These include, but are not limited to, regular information distribution to the community, verbal and/or written updates to the City Council, and/or coordination with City staff for effective and consistent messaging. Be an information liaison to outside agencies during an emergency event.
• Develop policies and/or assist with training elected officials and/or city staff for working effectively with the media and/or media platforms.
• Collaborate with members of the Executive Management Team to ensure consistent and uniform messaging across all departments.
• Prepare draft responses for elected officials and/or city staff for information requests from community media outlets.
• Assure quality and appropriateness of internal and/or external communication.
• Attend and provide feedback to Communications Subcommittee.
• Identify/recommend strategies to boost social media following
Due Date: 08/27/2021 3:00 PM (PDT)
Ramiro Adeva 818-597-7353
Relevant agencies to consider include SSPR and Alison Brod Public Relations.