The City of Benicia is requesting proposals from qualified firms to provide tourism marketing services as part of the ongoing implementation of its adopted Strategic Tourism Marketing Plan (“Plan”). Tourism is the main component of the City’s 2007 Economic Development Strategy, as well as the General Plan; it is an important topic and customer source for many businesses, organizations, and stakeholders in Benicia.
The Plan, which was completed in 2008, states that Benicia is “a focal point for dining, shopping, California history and art, set in a beautiful waterfront location”. Per the Plan, our primary target audience is Northern Californians on a day trip, particularly women over age 35, families, and households with above-average incomes. The website, VisitBenicia.org, reinforces that brand and is intended to provide all necessary information for visitors to plan their visits to Benicia. Visit Benicia is active on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest, as well as newsletters and blogs. Advertising is placed with Diablo, Sunset, VIA and Sacramento magazines or other local publications, and there is one digital reader board on I-680 within Benicia city limits. Visitor-oriented directional signage has been placed downtown and on major arteries in town. It is to be updated in the near future. Expanded marketing activity will reinforce the brand and carry the message to more target households within and outside Benicia.
Scope of Work
- Provide content for VisitBenicia.org. Content (text, photos and video) may be input directly by proposer with City staff approval. Client has option of also providing content.
- Technical support for VisitBenicia.org, on GoDaddy managed WordPress site, should be included in the proposal, either provided by proposer or via a subcontractor. (There is a subcontractor currently under contract with the City at $75 per hour.)
- Evaluate and develop updated collateral material, e.g.; arts/public art, historical sites, outdoor activities/waterfront, heritage walk, green tourism, volunturism, overall Visitors Guide.
- The different collateral options will be prioritized based on Client and stakeholder needs and proposer’s recommendations – not all listed need be completed within contract term.
- All collateral should be uploadable to the website and available as hard copies (should include graphic design cost; printing cost need not be included in proposal).
- Publicity, including writing and distributing press releases, generating and placing feature stories with media outlets, and outreach to local freelance writers/bloggers, which may result in earned media through the articles written by journalists, social media posts or bloggers.
- May include coordination of familiarization tours.
- Maintain and update targeted media list.
- Review co-op and other opportunities with California Travel & Tourism Commission (Visit California), and other tourism promotional opportunities, and make recommendations to Client and stakeholders.
- Implement as directed.
- Assist in expanding Visit Benicia’s social media presence by providing continued insight on best practices and current trends in social media and create shared media through likes, shares and comments.
- May create content in the form of photos, text or video and assist in posting on Visit Benicia social medial platforms.
- Provide metrics on social media efforts.
- Create content calendar for creation and posting of monthly blogs.
- Create and send quarterly e-newsletters (via VisitBenicia.org). Maintain and grow subscriber list.
- Provide technical assistance to other tourist-serving organizations in Benicia regarding their marketing, events, and cooperative efforts.
- Respond to routine Client requests within two business days.
- Respond to routine requests of tourism partners (Benicia Main Street, Arts Benicia, Benicia Historical Museum, Benicia Chamber of Commerce, etc.) within two business days.
- Respond to community (Benicia citizens and groups) inquiries within two business days.
- Present an annual report in the form of a PowerPoint presentation with media hits and social media metrics to the City Council once per year and to the Economic Development Board once per year on dates to be agreed upon with City staff. (Initial report to be made to one body on agreed upon date, with updated report to be made to other body at a later agreed upon date.)
- Develop advertising plan, which may include online ads, publications, TV/radio, social media and/or other, for Client’s approval.
- Develop creative content for Client’s approval.
- Implement advertising plan by placing ads in appropriate media.
- Provide metrics on ad buys and media placement in the form of a media hits report twice annually
March 29th 2019 at 2:00pm
Economic Development Manager
City Manager’s Office
250 East L Street Benicia, CA 94510
Top Public Relations News:
Rasky Baerlein Strategic Communications: Changes & Updates: Biden, Christie & More
Customer Loyalty by Generations
Crisis PR: Keeping Employees in the Know
Richard Attias and Associates: a WPP Agency
Late Nite News, Everyone From Expedia to Chelsea Handler Gets Plugged
Chicago Teachers Union Issues Marketing RFP
NVSTED Issues RFP For Marketing Support and Strategy
Spaniards Have NO Brand Loyalty
4 Legal Strategies For Public Relations Material To Remain Confidential and Privileged
Florida Bar Seeks A Public Relations Firm