City of San Francisco Issues Marketing and Advertising RFP
SF Environment (SFE) is looking for a PR firm to provide full-service marketing and advertising services. These services may include conducting research, developing messaging and creative; planning, purchasing, and executing traditional, non-traditional, and online media; tracking campaign progress; providing recommendations; and evaluating impacts and reporting findings.
The San Francisco Department of the Environment (SFE), a department of the City and County of San Francisco, creates visionary policies and innovative programs that promote social equity, protect human health, and lead the way toward a sustainable future. We put our mission into action by mobilizing communities and providing the resources needed to safeguard our homes, our city, and ultimately our planet. SFE does this by developing innovative, practical, and wide-ranging environmental programs, fostering groundbreaking legislation, and educating the public by providing comprehensive and easily accessible information on a wide range of sustainable practices.
The Department of the Environment has active programs in the areas of Climate, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, Clean Transportation, Environmental Justice, Green Jobs (Environment Now), Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, School Education, Green Building, Biodiversity, Urban Agriculture, and Urban Forestry. SFE announces this Request for Proposals (RFP) to engage highly qualified firms specializing in marketing; advertising; market research; creative development; collateral production; media planning and buying; marketing analysis; and branding; to provide professional services on an as-needed basis.
Scope of Work:
Typical budgets for SF Environment campaigns range from $50,000 to $300,000. Desired skills and experience, and typical project responsibilities include, the following (generally listed in order of how we progress through projects):
Collaboration & Research
- Demonstrate ability to successfully work in collaboration with contracting entity (SF Environment) and outside partners, whether partners are of your choice or are as directed by SFE;
- Gather or procure and analyze research and data from private and public sources;
- Provide actionable recommendations for creative messaging and strategies to engage identified target market groups, including multilingual groups; and
- Conduct pre-, post-, and ongoing campaign effectiveness studies to evaluate the impact of online and offline marketing and outreach campaigns, brand awareness, and improve the performance of in-market and future campaigns.
- Provide proficient multilingual marketing, including but not limited to culturally competent creative strategy and execution, as well as accurate translation of English into, at minimum, Chinese, Spanish, and Filipino.
Campaign Creative & Events
- Develop campaign messages and creative for all media types (including but not limited to traditional, non-traditional, online, and mobile);
- Provide photography, video production, and graphic design services as required; and
- Demonstrate ability to plan, coordinate and implement events, including experiential, workshops, tradeshows, conferences, and larger City events.
Media Planning & Buying
- Exhibit superior media planning and negotiation skills to achieve maximum media impact from available resources/budget. Must be able to detail negotiations, including, but not limited to, added value, CPM discounts etc.;
- Exhibit ability and willingness to plan and buy media for campaign creative not developed by Firm;
- Coordinate, place and purchase offline media for SF Environment in traditional and nontraditional media vehicles, including ethnic/in-language channels. Offline media vehicles include, but are not limited to, print, outdoor (both traditional and non-traditional), radio, and spot TV;
- Coordinate, purchase, and place online media, including, but not limited to, search engine marketing, ad words, display advertising (both standard and rich media), social media marketing, cross-platform ads (mobile device ads, tablet ads, portable display ads, etc.), email marketing, and in-language media;
- Evaluate and analyze metrics and impacts on an ongoing basis to provide SF Environment with real-time feedback and optimization recommendations to maximize media efficiency; and
- Provide detailed plans and campaign reports, including, but not limited to, situational analyses; strengths, weakness, opportunities, threats; market segmentation analyses and targeting; reports detailing positioning, creative, budget, goals, strategies, timeline, implementation schedule, results, return on investment, metrics; and all raw data and recommendations for future campaigns.
September 11th, 2018.
Strong agencies to consider for this assignment include Hunter PR and Makovsky PR.