The City of Brookhaven is seeking a professional marketing firm to support and supplement an existing Communications Department on the execution of a multi-faceted communications program pertaining to a one-time music festival-type event.
Originally home to Creek Indians, John L. Evins began a large plantation in the area now known as Brookhaven in the early 1800’s. Prior to the Civil War, ownership passed to Solomon Goodwin, then to Salson Stovall in the late 1800’s. Nearly all of what is now the Historic District developed on land owned at one time by Goodwin and/or Stovall.
Around 1900, prominent Atlantans began building summer cottages in Brookhaven (it was still too far for a daily commute to Atlanta). In 1910, a group of investors from the Mechanical and Manufacturers Club purchased the land making up the Country Club property and lots immediately surrounding it for a development called “Brookhaven Estates.” The Brookhaven Country Club was incorporated in October of that year. Herbert H. Barker, a golf pro from Garden City, Long Island, was hired to design the course, with nine holes laid out in 1911. (Barker also designed the Druid Hills Country Club’s course.) In January 1912, the Brookhaven Country Club opened as Atlanta’s second golf course after East Lake (1906).
Both the Druid Hills course and the Ansley Golf Club opened the same year as the Brookhaven Club, but these were additions to existing neighborhoods developed a number of years earlier. Brookhaven is distinct in being the first community in Georgia, and probably in the entire southeast, designed around a golf course. Efforts to retain existing trees, particularly pines, set a precedent followed by many of Atlanta’s post-World War II housing developments. Atlanta’s Capital City Club leased the Brookhaven Country Club in 1913. When the Capital City Club purchased the Brookhaven Club in 1915, the golf course was expanded from nine to 18 holes. The clubhouse dates from 1928. The Brookhaven Estates Company continued to sell lots around the club through the 1920’s. In 1915 there were four houses; by 1928, there were 19 houses surrounding the club.
Development continued when lots along Club Drive and Stovall were offered for sale by Samuel Stovall, Salsom’s son. By 1928, eight houses had been built on these lots. Country Club Estates (Winall Down Road, most of Vermont and Stovall, Calvert Lane and part of Narmore) was laid out in 1929. The Carleton Operating Company land (Bellaire Drive) was platted in 1936.
Scope of Work:
• The selected firm must be able to provide strong media & PR strategic insight and message development to assist Brookhaven with proactive campaigns related to developing messaging for immediately impacted businesses and residents, as well as a regional marketing campaign regarding the event itself, and other topics to be identified.
• The successful vendor should have metro Atlanta market experience with music festival promotion.
• The firm will be expected to generate creative content including at least one logo design and master design for 2 ads that can be adapted for multiple print media outlets.
• The vendor is expected to monitor and, when appropriate, provide copywriting and timely response to social media commentary under the direction of the Brookhaven Communications Department.
• Regular reporting on social media metrics, accompanied by strategic recommendations for improvement, will be required.
• All services provided will comply to the City’s commitment to transparency and supplement and augment Brookhaven’s efforts in other areas that promote our City’s reputation and image. Key audiences include:
• City residents, businesses, organizations, and stakeholders