The City of Laredo, Texas has issued a Federal Legislative and Lobbying RFP. The lobbying services shall include scheduled, extended, or special legislative sessions and meetings; federal administrative and agency hearings, meetings, or rule making proceedings.
Scope of Services and Performance
Under the direction of the Laredo City Council, the scope includes:
- Provide assistance, in the development and implementations of City of Laredo’s (COL) legislative program prior to the beginning of each legislative calendar.
- Monitor and report, through Federal (U.S.) legislative regulatory information service, or a similar legislative tracking service, on legislative activities that are germane to municipal government in general and to COL in particular.
- Provide technical and logistical support for COL to meet with appropriate stakeholders, officials, and legislators.
- Provide professional counsel and legislative monitoring, and analysis of education legislation, policies, regulations, and other activities that impact COL.
- Work with diverse groups to draft legislation, maximize appropriations, identify new legislative funding opportunities to assist in the development and implementation of legislation germane to municipal government, and policies and regulations favorable to COL.
- Provide assistance in preparing briefing information, notes, testimony, letters, or legislation, as needed, to advance the interests of COL before legislative bodies.
- Facilitate appropriate communications providing timely updates to the Laredo City Manager on key issues affecting municipalities and legislation, as appropriate.
- Attend meetings of the Laredo City Council, to assist city management in providing information on legislation.
- Maintain a level of awareness and knowledge of COL programs, activities and policies necessary to conduct all of the above.
- During the term of the agreement, maintain a business office or residence in Washington, DC.
- The successful firm will have municipal experience in providing lobbying services at the Federal level to assist the City of Laredo in developing an agenda and securing funding. This agenda will include areas of general municipal government, including but not limited to: telecommunications, sanitation waste disposal, parks and recreational services, economic development, streets and transportation, sanitary sewer, stormwater, infrastructure, health, animal control, police and fire services, homeland security, grants, legislative issues that restrict the powers of local government such as eminent domain and annexation, and other issues affecting municipalities as more fully described in this RFP.
- The successful firm must agree to be available at all times upon reasonable request to meet with City Council, City staff and others as specified in order to perform the responsibilities assigned; and to attend meetings, represent the interest of the City, and act as liaison between the City and all branches, departments, and agencies of the Federal government. It is expected that the successful firm will review and understand the agendas of the House and Senate leaders at the Federal level in order to assist the City to strategically seek funds.
- The successful firm will work collaboratively with the City of Laredo City Council, City Manager and designated staff to develop the City’s Federal program and represent the City’s interests in Washington, DC.
- The successful firm will handle a range of activities including:
- Work closely with the City Council, City Manager, and key staff to develop a detailed strategic plan, to be referred to as the City of Laredo Federal Legislative Program, for acquiring appropriations and funding for the City of Laredo.
- Identify Federal grant opportunities; draft funding/grant applications in collaboration with the City, which addresses specific funding needs of the City; monitor and facilitate the progress of funding/grant applications through appropriate federal agencies on behalf of the City, when requested.
- Identify and aggressively act to obtain funding for the City of Laredo projects.
- Review on a continuing basis all existing and proposed Federal policies, programs, and legislation. Identify those issues that may affect the City or its citizens, and regularly inform the City on these matters. Provide legal and legislative expertise and consulting services.
- Identify other Federal legislation of interest to the City, monitor action on these initiatives, and advocate the City’s interest when appropriate.
- Monitor Federal legislative committee meetings, agency hearings and meetings prior to and during the regular and special legislative session(s) at which specific issues with the City’s adopted Legislative Program are considered, as well as other issues that may arise that affect the City.
- Testify and lobby before Federal legislative and appropriations committees as necessary on behalf of the City, during the annual legislative session, extended, or special session(s) and at legislative committee meetings. Assist City Mayor, Council Members and Staff when testifying.
- Appear and testify before agency hearings, rule making proceedings and other administrative agency or legislative meetings, as required, to promote, oppose, and seek passage of legislation affecting the City or its citizens, and specific legislation contained in the City’s Legislative Program.
- Coordinate appointments or meetings between the City Council, other designated individuals, and Congressional leaders.
- Assist the City in drafting any needed letters to Federal Congressional leaders regarding issues of interest and concern to the City of Laredo.
Proposals are due by July 11, 2016 to:
City Secretary Office
1110 Houston St., 3rd floor
Laredo, Texas 78040
Top Public Relations News:
Branding Agency Needed By Downtown Oxnard Business Improvement District
Amazon Launched Kindle Store for Spanish Speakers in the US
PR Happenings at JConnelly, 5WPR, Jared and Ivanka’s PR, and Weber Shandwick
Australia and New Zealand Marketing Emails Struggle to Escape the Spam Folder
PR PRofiles: LaunchSquad, Marx Layne, M18 PR & more…
City of Fort Bragg, CA Issues PR RFP
Sears Hoping To Recapture Magic
First Nations Health Authority Issues Creative RFP For Cannabis Health Campaign
RIHousing Issues RFP For Communications Services
Rave PR to Conduct New Consumer PR Campaign for Zanussi