Yahoo! Goes Beyond Gold with London Coverage on Yahoo! Sports
Yahoo! Sports promises breaking news and interactive coverage “Beyond Gold” to over 700 million fans around the world. The technology powered media company, will bring together consumers and advertisers from around the world to celebrate London 2012 with some of the most comprehensive, social, interactive, and personal experiences to date, across every screen.
Yahoo! Sports may not be the only entity that promises a lot it terms of media coverage, but it has the potential to become one of the most popular, surpassing the BBC in online reach. This is a brilliant media opportunity for Yahoo! and not only. Many other media giants will take a chance on reporting Olympic events, in an attempt to retain audiences and advertising money.
But Yahoo!’s “Beyond Gold” coverage will go to unprecedented expense to provide its 700 million global users, in dozens of languages and regions, with original video programs, breaking news, photos, expert analysis from gold medal Olympians and award-winning Yahoo! Sports writers, unique editorial series, fantasy games and engaging second screen experiences.
Ken Fuchs, VP of Global Media for Yahoo! & Head of Yahoo! Sports, Men’s and Games believes that Yahoo! can hold its status as the No. 1 online destination for Olympics coverage, a status the company earned in 2006.
“London 2012 will be a showcase for 24/7 reporting, across all screens, and Yahoo! is investing to deliver powerful experiences for our users and advertisers. Our unique storytelling combined with innovative new products will help establish new memorable moments as they happen for 700 million fans around the world,” he added.
The company optimized the Yahoo! Hub to render flawlessly on PC, mobile and tablet browsers, so that fans on-the-go don’t miss a thing.
Aside coverage, “Beyond Gold” will also feature
- prediction-style games, that allow fans to challenge their friends and compete against fellow Yahoo! users from 27 countries around the world
- a Flickr Group “Yahoo!’s Coverage of London 2012” with original photos submitted by Flickr members
- IntoNow from Yahoo!: a second screen TV experience that gives fans the ability to enjoy up to the minute synchronized content featuring medal counts, images from the games, schedules and athlete bios automatically synchronized with the Summer Games on the TV along with additional social experiences, including Twitter content from personalities at the games, and trivia
- Sportacular from Yahoo!: a special tab on the sports app with personalized access to teams, players, and leagues
- Connected TV: integrated into the Yahoo! Sports TV app, Beyond Gold for Yahoo! Connected TV offers news, scores, medal counts, photos and videos right on the TV screen
- and Search Direct Displays: Leveraging Yahoo! Sports editorial and real-time search data, Yahoo! Search will offer customized multi-screen direct displays across APAC, EMEA and North America, including medal counts, breakout athletes and popular teams
Yahoo! will continue promoting its offers during the London 2012 Games, to attract more audiences, and to maintain its position as the No. 1 online destination for Olympics coverage. Yahoo’s PR agencies are Hill & Knowlton, Peppercomm and Golin-Harris.