GAVI The Vaccine Alliance Issues Global Public Relations RFP
Saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. Gavi is an international organization that was created in 2000 to improve access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, Gavi is the Vaccine Alliance, which brings together public and private sectors with the shared goal of creating equal access to vaccines for children, wherever they live. Gavi Alliance (“Gavi”) is seeking to engage a global agency to improve its profile and advance its mission amongst key global audiences, including in two Gavi-supported countries (India and Nigeria), through both traditional and new media engagement activities.
Gavi has a five years replenishment cycle where donors pledge resources against a five years investment plan. As we are closing the 2015-2020 period, Gavi is working on its next financing cycle 2021-2025 that will culminate with a fundraising event in 2019-2020. The Gavi media team is a small and experienced team responsible for ensuring that Gavi’s work is appropriately showcased by media both in donor countries (list here) and in Gavi-supported countries (list here). Our work includes building support for government and private sector investment in the organization, as well as generating demand and political will for immunization in Gavi-supported countries. In key donor markets, Gavi’s media team has secured high-profile media coverage in recent years, building strong relationships with key outlets such as New York Times, BBC and Le Monde.
Gavi’s solid and tangible results, paired with its unique transition model and private sector engagement puts the Alliance in an excellent position to further strengthen and increase coverage in both global and national media as well as strengthen engagement with key influencers.
Scope of Work:
- Provide a bespoke global service to support the Gavi media team in its strategy to engage traditional and digital media for Gavi executives, vaccine introduction, key announcements and crisis communications as needed in both donor markets (Asia, Europe, Arab speaking world) and in Gavi-supported countries. A presence in India and Nigeria is preferable and a regional office in Africa is a plus.
- Support media and digital media engagement for key Gavi events and announcements, helping to pitch press releases, op-eds, features and interview opportunities to key global contacts, as well as engaging through social and digital platforms; support media team in organizing press events in Gavi countries;
- Support the Gavi media team in establishing and reinforcing relationships with high-level influencers and media contacts in key countries (including, but not limited to Nigeria and India), including print, digital, consumer magazine and broadcast health editors, comment desks and foreign desks;
- Support Gavi in creating ongoing media and digital media engagement opportunities for leaderships that, when possible, link to areas within the political / national discourse related to global health / development issues;
- Support media team in expanding Gavi’s media footprint to include new audiences, platforms;
- Provide strategic advice as required.
- Support the media team in strengthening Gavi’s status as a critical player in global development and global health, and position its senior executives as thought leaders within the field of global health and development among key media and digital media outlets, including in Gavi-supported countries such as India and Nigeria;
- Support the Gavi media team in establishing and building relationships with key high-level influencers; provide media relations support for key announcements, events and milestones; increase Gavi’s digital presence through increased engagement;
- Communicate Gavi’s mission and narrative, and the vision of Gavi’s leadership through new and innovative media and digital channels;
- Supply regular updates on relevant upcoming media activity, pursuing proactive opportunities to insert Gavi and/or the Gavi leadership into coverage where appropriate.
- Provide strategic guidance on media and digital strategy and tactics.
Agencies to consider include APCO Worldwide and Dukas Linden.