It’s official: the word “selfie” was declared by the Oxford Dictionary the word of the year. After being introduced officially in the dictionary this year, “selfie” managed to become 2013’s word, beating “twerk” in the final race. This is no surprise, but a recognition of the fast changing online environment, and its various implication on language.
“Selfie” went beyond a social media niche term to a widely used word, adopted by many people across the globe. Moreover, selfies are used in various ways by people in different industries. A lot of usage is just about having fun, about seizing the moment. Regardless of where they work and who they are, many people use selfies as a reminder of a special moment spent with a dear friend; a visit to a famous tourist sight; or any other meaningful moment.
Many great communicators use selfies to engage and spark conversations. What better examples of “selfies at work” can you think of, if not some shared by some of the world’s best PR pros and communicators? Here are our 10 picks.
1. Brian Solis – does he really need an introduction? A thought leader in social media, a digital analyst, anthropologist, and futurist, Brian Solis is principal at Altimeter Group, and a worldwide renowned speaker. Oh, yes, and he loves selfies.
2. Darren Rowse – the founder of famous ProBlogger (and not only that), a full time blogger who writes about communication and blogging. Another communication influencer who loves selfies.
3. Loren Baker – founder of Search Engine Journal, definitely an influent voice in the online environment and, yes, you guessed it, a fan of selfies
4. Chris Abraham – a public relations executive, expert in social media marketing and digital PR and blogging. Another big name with many selfies.
5. Ann Tran – social media influencer, always getting involved in interesting projects and making her opinions known.
6. Mari Smith – considered a top social media power influencer by Forbes, Mari is a facebook expert who also loves selfies. Here’s a very bright one.
7. Warren Whitlock – author and speaker, Warren Whitlock is another social media expert, host of Blog Talk Radio’s Social Media Profit Show, who also has shared a couple of selfies or more in his life:
8. Jessica Northey is a social PR consultant in the music industry, and quite a famous one as she was also featured in a top 10 social media power influencers. Jessica loves selfies, she has various such photos and she looks nice in them all.
What other great PR and communications people who share selfies can you name?