It’s that time of the year when we look back to what made an impact on technology and marketing. While other times we provided a more general list, this year we’ve decided to feature only newcomers in the industry – and here are the top 100 best PR related startups of 2011. From 10 categories, we will select the absolute top 10, based on popularity and reader feedback. Today, the first 5 categories are: Productivity and Calendars; News, Bookmarks and Research; Social Media, Social Networking, Sharing; Video and Interactive; and All Things Mobile. And here is 2011′s Top 100 Best Startups for PRs [Part 2].
Productivity and Calendars
- Astrid is a social to-do list that helps individuals and groups stay organized, get more done and have fun in the process. The platform makes it easy to ask for help, delegate and share lists.
- Tree.io is an all-inclusive cloud-based business management system. The platform brings together project management functionalities, a sales module and a customer support system. With tree.io you can manage projects, sales, support, finances, contacts including built-in reports plus email and internal-chat messaging.
- SpiderScribe is an online mind mapping and brainstorming tool. It lets you organize your ideas by connecting notes, files, calendar events, etc. in free-form maps. You can collaborate and share those maps online. The maps are stored “in the cloud” and can be accessed from anywhere.
- UPlanMe for business is a great way to share your events, specials and incentives directly onto the calendars of all of your loyal customers. UPlanMe also lets you place your upcoming calendar of events and specials directly onto your website with a simple code that updates in real-time.
- Nimble is a social relationship and productivity tool, that allows you to connect all of your contacts, calendars, communications and social conversations. Nimble manages all of your existing contacts, and lets you instantly add new ones from your social networks. Connect your contacts to calendars, communications and conversations, all in one easy-to-use interface. In addition, Nimble monitors the most important social networks.
- Zapaday is a global public calendar and news agenda. Zapaday provides certainty about the future with day-by-day events, facts, news stories and trivia.
- Moredays is a completely new way of planning and recording life that crosses the borders of standard planning and turns paper calendar into an electronic/digital calendar.
- Welcu is an even planning platform, that allows you to work with your team and watch your guests activity; manage your guests and distribute your tickets; as well as design, deliver and track RSVPs.
- Nyabag is a web based task management application that helps the user to plan, organize and remember their tasks or events. It assists you to remember the forthcoming tasks or events and will remind you through mail or sms.
- giveashout allows you to discover, track, and shout out your future events and plan them with people around you.
News, Bookmarks and Research
- BookmarkerPro is a set of bookmarking tools that allow you to monitor each web page intra-day, daily or weekly; search the content of your bookmarks; format pages with Readability; send readable pages to email & Kindle and import and export your bookmarks.
- Gimme Bar doesn’t just keep bookmarks; it stores items in your personal library in the cloud. You can even back things up to Dropbox. You can also organize and share your collections.
- Project Emporia sifts through ever-evolving news streams to identify hot news stories, categorizes them into topic areas and ranks them, and then presents them to you in a friendly and easy-to-use UI. With Project Emporia you get relevant stories on topics of your choice.
- Trapit scours the web for you 24/7 to discover up-to-the minute, personalized content on your favorite topics and interests.
- Comunitee is the first social news network that reinvents the way users discover and share news online, on mobile devices and tablets. It learns what you like and automatically shares it with your friends and followers. There’s no need to connect your Facebook or Twitter accounts or click Follow, Tweet, Like, and Share for every story you find interesting. Comunitee does all the work behind the scenes and delivers you the most relevant, up-to-date news.
- Streams.im helps you keep updated on specific topics, interests and keywords by showing you the latest in news and social media activity pertaining to what you follow.
- Q-Sensei FeedBooster is a free, advanced web-based feed reader that offers a new way of discovering relevant and timely information from the wealth of RSS news, blogs and business feeds.
- Newsgrape connects readers and writers. It serves more perspectives on current topics and presents your articles to a larger audience.
- joinbox is your mailbox of the digital era. There, you receive emails, tweets, Facebook messages and status updates, your favorite news feeds, and much more. Everything live.
- News.me offers a remarkable new way to find out what the people who interest you are reading right now. It also offers a daily email digest that shows you what your friends have read, along with the most interesting news flowing through your Twitter stream, in the past 24 hours.
Social Media; Social Networking; Sharing
- Google+ aims to make sharing on the web more like sharing in real life. It integrates social services such as Google Profiles and Google Buzz, and introduces new services identified as Circles, Hangouts and Sparks.
- SocialFolders helps you share your content anywhere between social sites or copy between websites.
- Platlas is a tool to help you better understand the complex structures and paths within your favorite social networks.
- With Qpomp you can use viral coupons in order to create brand awareness and attract new customers.
- OfferedLocal is a location based marketing tool that makes it simple to create social media marketing and mobile marketing offers and promotions which can be distributed to your customers via Facebook and Twitter
- INCLIQ is a mesh-based social network: private information is never transmitted-to or stored-on incliq.com servers. When you post a status update (or photo, etc.), the message is sent across the mesh directly to your friends.
- SociaCard enables you too easily share your entire web presence and let your friends connect with you in all social media sites you belong to
- SocialBro gives you accurate information about your community using different search criteria that will help you to make strategic and error-free decisions. Take advantage of knowing exactly who shapes your community: where your followers are from, which language they speak, their activity on Twitter, etc.
- Twylah takes the mess out of your Twitter stream, filters it and arranges it beautifully into a single page.
- Kuvva turns your desktop and twitter into a daily source of inspiration. Some of the world’s best artists and illustrators effortlessly make-over your digital life with a new wallpaper curated for every day of the week.
Video and Interactive
- Viewbix empowers companies to leverage their videos by inserting interactive apps and sharing that experience across the web, mobile and social networks.
- Vungle is the first and only mobile app user acquisition platform focused exclusively on video ads
- Yokto is a free video platform that lets you add and manage video content on your website, blog or Facebook fan page. Upload your own videos or collect videos and presentations from around the web – from YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Brightcove, Photobucket, Ustream and SlideShare.
- SpeakerText is a premium service for video publishers that turns video into text so that it can be searched, shared and accessed by everyone.
- Anmish is one of the first application-based websites that provides free digital home-made animations and online entertainment. Without any previous knowledge of animation creation, Anmish enables its users to create their own animated video parodies through Anmish’s various ready-made collection of caricatures of famous figures in the world.
- Tout enables people to quickly and easily update their Facebook friends and Twitter followers with real- time short video Video Status Updates, captured from smart phones.
- Prismplay is an online video platform that allows advertisers to create videos that adapt and change according to the viewer.
- Present.me is a simple, easy to use, low cost application that allows you to record your powerpoint presentation and then, by splitting the screen, show you and your slides at the same time, in the same place
- oomfo transforms mundane data into stunning visuals and adds the oomph quotient to your presentations.
- Booktrack represents a new chapter in the evolution of storytelling, and an industry “first” in publishing, by creating synchronized soundtracks for e-books that dramatically boost the reader’s imagination and engagement.
All Things Mobile
- Roveb will help you easily create a clean and engaging experience for your mobile visitors through relevant local information, dynamic content and proven techniques like Game mechanics and QR codes.
- Apps & Oranges helps people find and recommend the best apps for getting stuff done.
- Webcrumbz provides you with the right set of features to better reach your mobile audience by creating, designing, managing and distributing your mobile web apps.
- Bloapp is a new and innovative platform for bloggers to create their own iPhone app in less than 5 minutes.
- CardFlick is a mobile app that lets you create and share digital business cards.
- Publisha is a free browser-based solution that allows integrated publishing across digital platforms, with built-in social media, analytics and revenue streams. Publisha builds a digital publication from one single dashboard across a website, Facebook, iPhone and iPad.
- AppExtras is a new cross-promotion network for mobile app publishers. Publishers get more downloads, access to millions of new users and can earn extra revenue for generating installs within the network.
- Onswipe lets you provide a beautiful app like experience for your website on tablet and phone browsers.
- appbackr is the first and only digital wholesale marketplace for the application market.
- Chartboost offers a direct-deal advertising marketplace that enables game publishers to manage the distribution power of their mobile game apps and monetize the success of a Top-100 app in the App Store.